Chat

Author Topic: deflemask 8 bugs  (Read 29833 times)

chipchamp

deflemask 8 bugs
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »
it seems that the "repeat, follow, record" checkmarks are only visible when you are selecting the system.  all 3 appear to be working fine.

and a non 8.0 thing im not sure if it has been mentioned.... in PCE when editing the wavetables the number values at the bottom are too wide and only cover a little more than half the waveform.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
About the first, it was already reported and I will fix it in a few hours (I am at work). It is  related to the waveformviewer, try to disable it and you will see that the problem dissapear.

About the second point, you could move trought the values by using the arrow keys.

Thanks a lot for the reports.

cuttingagent

deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
If you accidentally select the system as Genesis while it is *already* running in Genesis mode, the checkboxes for Repeat/Follow/Record all switch to off and then become inaccessible, so you cannot turn them back on. I don't know if it does this for other systems but I would guess so.

The quickest way I found to fix this is to use the zip file to overwrite all the program's files, and start fresh.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
I fixed this issues, please re download DefleMask. Thanks.

cuttingagent

deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »
Now here's an interesting bug!

Load 2 or more DAC samples in INST section.

Change the sample rate upward from the minimum.

The first sample will now play at an incorrect pitch, while all the other samples retain their correct pitch. The incorrect pitch can be somewhat corrected by then changing the pitch parameter, but will not be fully correct.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:11:00 AM »
I could not replicate that bug, if I change the sample rate of the samples they play at the configured/desired hz. I don't get where is the bug.

cuttingagent

deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 06:39:58 AM »
Here is a .dmf of it. Sample 1 and 2 are both Sonic Drum 1.wav.

I loaded these both in sequence and then changed the sample rate from 8000hz to 11025hz.

You should be able to hear that sample 1 is now pitched too high.

I also tried reloading the sample after this, which did not help.

This is not the worst thing in the world, of course.=D

---

EDIT: Wow, this was shortsighted of me. I did not even realize that the sample rate wasn't global, neglecting to see a setting for it for each sample(this is partly because I just switched from VGMMM which only has a global setting for this) I'm confused though because VGMMM also plays the samples at the correct pitch under ANY sample rate. Not that this is a big issue, just curious.

And sorry about the false bug report. I have read the manual 5 times, read the tech documentation for the chips, and read a couple years worth of changelogs. Still the most obvious things go right over my head. Perhaps it's data overload.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:29:29 AM by cuttingagent »

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
That behavior is absolutely correct, because Sonic Drum 1.wav is a wav of 8000hz only!.
If you change the hz or speed, you will change also the pitch of the sound, this is a basic effect of changing the sound frequency. In order to obtain a sample running @ some desired hz, for example Sonic Drum 1.wav, you SHOULD record that sample in those HZ, for example, ripping from a Genesis Cart to very high hz, and after that, you will load it in DefleMask and it will play with lower pitch @ 8000hz but fine in your desired hz.

cuttingagent

deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »
Ah, looks like you were answering that right as I had figured it out myself and was editing my post (see above). Sorry, this stuff is very confusing. I've noticed I can't often tell if an issue is about the chip itself, inherent in trackers in general, a distinction between different trackers, etc. So many different possibilities.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:44:39 AM »
No problem mate, for these type of questions I created the forum.  ;)
I'm confused though because VGMMM also plays the samples at the correct pitch under ANY sample rate. Not that this is a big issue, just curious.
In VGMMM the samples are auto-resampled and they will play fine at the selected HZ because it has a GLOBAL hz selector, so VGMM is forced to do this (play them fine at all cost), in other way you will never be able to change the hz and not getting mad, because you will be forced to re-record all of your samples at the new hz.

As you already know, DefleMask has a individual per sample hz selector, so it is not necessary make any auto-resampling because you will be able to play all of the samples at the recorded hz, even with different rates, without problems. And even you could use the same sample with different hz to play it at a different pitch if this is useful for you.

cuttingagent

deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »
Ah, I had thought that the reason for a choice of sample rates was to conserve space on the ROM. Now I see that if someone wanted to do that, they'd need to record the samples at a low rate to begin with.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »
Sure!.
Also, the hz is only the SPEED of the sample, so if you have 16bytes and you send them at a rate of 1byte per second or 2bytes per second they size in memory will be the same, 16bytes. So, the selection of the hz of a sample will not modify the size of the sample in memory, it will modify how the CPU will have to work to play them (the speed).

FlashingYoshi

deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »
Hey, Delek! It appears that arpeggio does not work when vibrato is activated.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »
The way that DefleMask uses to create the vibrato is relative to the next and the previous note, for example, if you want to done a vibrato to C-5, DefleMask will done some math using B-4 and C#-5, if you done an arpeggio at the same time, the vibrato will be reseted at every new note and it will be useless.

It is done in this way because DefleMask uses a general and global getFrequencyNote for every chip, so the vibrato will be calculated in the same way for every soundchip without touching the code. This creates the lack of using this two effects together, but it is a very useful way of solving the vibrato effect.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:50:23 PM by Delek »

Offline jrlepage

deflemask 8 bugs
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:01:28 PM »
When in Genesis mode, using 04xy causes issues with notes with EDxx next to them. The frequency plays without delay but the attack is delayed by xx frames.