Chat

Author Topic: Differences Deflemask and export PC Engine  (Read 511 times)

Offline RazerBlue6

• PC Engine Masterrace
    • Twitter
    • Email
Differences Deflemask and export PC Engine
« on: June 25, 2017, 03:06:37 PM »
Alright Delek, I took some time to compare Deflemask's 12.1 pre-3's output and export to VGMPlay and standalone Ootake for PC Engine. Will later add Mednafen to the comparison as well.

I first want to say it's more organised in this Imgur gallery so if you could look there it would be the best experience looking at the result. Blue is Deflemask, Red = VGMPlay
Also images cut off here on the forum so you'd see the whole picure there :)
http://imgur.com/a/URiEU

____________________________________________________________________________________

VGMPlay and Ootake were nearly the same so I used VGMPlay here. The only real difference was that standalone Ootake is a little bit slower in playback, but it's barely noticable.

First thing I want to say is that for some reason the signals are inverted in Deflemask. It's not a bad thing since the overall volume isn't really affected but just something I noticed since all other emus like VGMPlay, Ootake and Mednafen don't have this.

Ok first in the picture is comparing the two when the instrument macro volume is set to max and only the volume values in the tracker field are used.
The second time the instrument macro volume has been given a non-max value.

Conclusions:
- Deflemask's volume curve is different, it ramps down faster in the louder parts and misses some values in the quieter parts of the soundchip emulation.
- Deflemask goes back to the volume value given in the tracker field, ignoring a combination value with from the instrument macro and goes back, However, this is noticeable both in Deflemask and in the export, so I guess that's not half that bad??

We're now looking at when Deflemask has a note with a given volume value and we combine it with the 0Axy command.
Also in here is when you give Deflemask a note a volume value, combined with values from the instrument macro and the 0Axy command.

Conclusions:
- VGMPlay is louder and thus giving a slower feel of the volume curve compared to Deflemask.
- Deflemask's combination of values of tracker volume + instrument macro volume (and the different volume curve) differ from the VGM export. VGMPlay is noticable much less sharper than actually is hearable in Deflemask.

You knew this one was gonna come eventually, one of the most reported problems in the PC Engine export; the noise volume. ^^
Again, first without the instrument macro, and a second time with it. Repeated 2 times.

Conclusions:
- Noise is more louder in VGM export than Deflemask

This is certainly noticable in both HES export and VGM export.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a link to the raw files as well, so you can see for yourself: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0gsFb6pILeTMXl6SXo1X01qb1k

Hope this gave you some insight Delek! I'd like to see a response from you sometime soon. :)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:52:00 PM by RazerBlue6 »

Offline RazerBlue6

• PC Engine Masterrace
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »
Also I forgot to tell that some people say there are more noise frequency values actually available that Deflemask doesn't use, but I'm not sure on that one.

You have to ask Elmer for that one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:11:29 PM by RazerBlue6 »

Offline tildearrow

• Defle FTW
    • tildearrow
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
Did you compare against real hardware?
I'd be really happy if real hardware matches DefleMask.

Offline RazerBlue6

• PC Engine Masterrace
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
I unfortunately don't have acces to hardware. If you or anyone else knows of someone with hardware willing to test and record, I'd be very satisfied to having even more solid results.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »
Thanks for the detailed report! I will look into this.
What tildearrow said is interesting btw.

Offline RazerBlue6

• PC Engine Masterrace
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »
Oh one more thing: noise is lower in volume than in HES export I think? I will have to see that since I didn't test for noise volume with HES properly yet.
In VGM export the volume is right, just the volume curve is different but HES export gives an overall louder sound. But like I said I'll look at this asap.

Also still trying to find someone for hardware testing, I'll try keep trying to find someone