Chat

Author Topic: Sega Master System: special noise mode?  (Read 107 times)

Offline garvalf

• Garvalf's den
Sega Master System: special noise mode?
« on: April 11, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
hi,

I have something in a song, I don't know if it's a bug or a normal behavior:

In a SMS tune (deflemask 0.12 or 0.121), I made 3 voices + 1 with noise for the drums. The drum channel is using the 20 01 effect to make the sound. The manual says: "If it (x) is set to 1, the noise can reach any frequency at the cost of losing the third Square channel." Here x is set to zero, so it shouldn't loose the 3rd sq channel should it? Anyway, when used alone, it sounds like some kind of hi hat. But IF I enable the 3rd channel and there is something on it, then the drum sounds muffled. In the sample tune, for the 2 pattern for example, if you change SN3 to 0 or 2 instead of 1, then the drums sound again like hi hat. If I remove the notes in NS1 or SN2, it still sounds muffled.

If I convert the tune to a genesis one (moving the 4 PSG channels to the PSG channels on Genesis), then it's the same. I haven't tried on orignal hardware though (I own a genesis, but don't have any SMS). Is it a bug, or the manual is missing some informations?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:58:03 PM by garvalf »

Offline marcb0t

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 04:04:15 AM »
Greetings Garvalf,

The problem is with your instrument for the noise channel.

You cannot have the "Noise Macro" have anything in it at all, if you want to set a "20xx" value in your pattern editor.

In other words, either use the "Noise Macro" in your instrument editor, or use "20xx". Never both.

Just look and see how I have it in instrument 2 for the noise channel.

Fixed file attached.

Offline garvalf

• Garvalf's den
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »
Hello marcb0t,

thank you for your help. I've corrected according to your advice! (and I've also used Genesis/FM instruments in addition for the drums)

Offline marcb0t

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
Hello marcb0t,

thank you for your help. I've corrected according to your advice! (and I've also used Genesis/FM instruments in addition for the drums)
Glad I could be of service!

You know, there's still ways to do more drum variety with just the Master System PSG. By inter-swapping the noise channel modes and going back and forth between channel 3 and 4, you can get more drum sounds, and a twangy bassline like in this track:

https://soundcloud.com/marcb0t/tarzan-boy-sms-version

No Genesis FM require. :)

Offline garvalf

• Garvalf's den
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
That's impressive! Well done.

On the matter of FM instruments, I own a megadrive and no SMS, so it's in a way easier for me to stick to the megadrive system. But I know it's interesting to learn to use the limitations of just 1 chip.

I've made 2 tracks targetting the PSG chip only:
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/Varulvens+vilde+Jagt/22505/
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/Le+poignard+de+glace/24084/

I sometimes gets some glitches when playing on my megadrive (for ex. first tune at 2:06), I don't know if it sometimes happens or if my SN76489 chip is defective.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:25:04 AM by garvalf »

Offline marcb0t

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:05 PM »
That's impressive! Well done.

On the matter of FM instruments, I own a megadrive and no SMS, so it's in a way easier for me to stick to the megadrive system. But I know it's interesting to learn to use the limitations of just 1 chip.

I've made 2 tracks targetting the PSG chip only:
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/Varulvens+vilde+Jagt/22505/
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/Le+poignard+de+glace/24084/

I sometimes gets some glitches when playing on my megadrive (for ex. first tune at 2:06), I don't know if it sometimes happens or if my SN76489 chip is defective.
Yeah, whatever works for you is cool. I understand.

That song I shared with you (when rendered to a real SMS) had a slight glitch in amplitude in a couple of spots, but nothing too bad. Most people probably wouldn't notice unless you told them.

Hardware conversion is not perfect in Deflemask. Although, it is still some of the best around. That's when you gotta go in and try to tweak that trouble spot until it no longer glitches. Try putzing around with the volume level or pitch fine tuning in that problem spot to see if that makes your render a little smoother.

We are talking about old computer chips. Did you know that the original YM2612 had a digital defect in it? And it was fixed in later model Sega Genesis's. That old tech is not always perfect. It's all apart of the fun though. :)