Chat

Author Topic: Volume Slide (Axy) end behavior - bug or feature?  (Read 237 times)

Offline elmer

• Delek FTW
Volume Slide (Axy) end behavior - bug or feature?
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »
A Volume Slide completely overrides any Volume Macro that's in a channel's current instrument.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I'd have thought that it would just change the current Volume Column value ... but it is arguably a reasonable design choice to make.

But when a Volume Slide up (or down) is finished, the channel remains locked at the final output volume until the next note is triggered, still ignoring the Volume Macro.

Then if it was a Volume Slide down, and so the volume is 0 at the end, the Volume Column is reset to 31.

Neither of those behaviors makes much sense to me.

I would expect the Volume Slide to clear itself as soon as it is finished, leaving the Volume Column at the final value (31 or 0) and then let the Volume Macro take control again.

Well, actually what I'd really expect is that the Volume Macro would continue to be processed during the Volume Slide.

I wouldn't expect the Volume Column to be reset to 31 on the next note, either.

Surely it should be up to the musician to manually set the Volume Column back to whatever value they want after a Volume Slide Down finishes?

I can't really call any of these things bugs, but are these all deliberate design choices?

This happens on the PC Engine.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:31:53 PM by elmer »

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
Is a design choice. Changing it to a more "correct" behavior will not be possible because of backward compatibility. At least for now.

Offline elmer

• Delek FTW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 03:44:59 AM »
Is a design choice. Changing it to a more "correct" behavior will not be possible because of backward compatibility. At least for now.

No problem!  :)

I understand the importance of keeping backward-compatibility.

Musicians can work-around the behavior by changing the Volume Column settings instead of using the Volume Slide effect.

It would be nice to have this changed to a different and (IMHO) more-musician-friendly behavior in the future, perhaps using the .dmf file version to decide how to behave, but it's not a huge problem right now.