Chat

Author Topic: [About YM2151 games] How to extract instruments from a rom file?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Eduardo_Moonwalker

• YM2612 lover
    • My YouTube!
    • Email
There is a specific game that I would love to get the instruments, after all, I already know how to use the program VGM2TFI with a VGM file, but I can't at all find the VGM File game Terminator 2 Judgement Day.
And I really like the FM instruments that have been customized to illustrate the entire soundtrack for the game, but I think no one has come to extract them to VGM, because the only reference I have the soundtrack is listening to the BRIDGE M1 program and of course the MAME by the internal settings of the game.
Are there any methods more familiar program to get the FM instruments without having the VGM files?

Offline mihaelkyeah

• Learn the best from all worlds
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
[About YM2151 games] How to extract instruments from a rom file?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:54:58 am »
There's a command prompt version of M1 (without the front end) that, with certain switches, you can use to log VGM files from a ROM (you also have to make sure the chips used are all supported by the VGM format).

You can also use lists with this command prompt version of M1 so as to avoid having to explore through a massive sound list starting from 1 (which doesn't quite help if the first sound is number 0, which you can override in a custom made list). It's a bit complicated but after a lot of work trying to figure out how to get it running I managed to make my own list for Splatterhouse (which was in vain because the special-snowflake-wavetable-chip by Namco is, predictably so, not supported by VGM, at least not yet.)

• YM2612 lover
    • My YouTube!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:23:25 am »
This sounds so complicated and i'm so newbie about command lines, how do I start really? I don't know if I have the prompt version of M1 and i'm afraid to change some notepad codes and get some error because it's too much technical information to me.

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03:15 am »
No, you don't have to edit anything.
All you have to do is open a command prompt in the folder in which you have M1 (the version without the front end that you can find in the VGMrips forum); doing Shift+left click you'll see an option that reads "open command line window here".
Then you run, for example: M1.exe -n RomName.zip (the -n switch is to prevent automatic normalisation).

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:44:37 am »
In the Readme file you should have information about what each switch does. I think the one for logging as VGMs is -g, and also, if you're using playlist (.lst) files, it saves the VGMs with the titles you provided earlier. If you don't have a defined list for that game in the lists folder, it just logs them with numbers.
In case you have a predefined list, you can force the player not to use it by using the switch -a which disables the album mode. It's useful if you want to explore more tracks than those defined in the list, including sound effects.

• YM2612 lover
    • My YouTube!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »
I've done the first step and...

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 08:07:39 pm »
Hmm... I think I remember having that happen to me with a few ROMs. You possibly have two options:
1) The ROM is corrupted or not compatible with M1's playback engine.
2) The file name is incorrect or the path (the folder) has 'invalid' characters that M1 doesn't support.

• YM2612 lover
    • My YouTube!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:27:40 pm »
Oh.  :(
Should I place the M1 within the MAME folder? 'Cause i've just made a copy of that rom and put inside the M1's placeholder.

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 05:52:23 pm »
I would copy the rom from the MAME roms folder into the 'roms' subfolder in M1's directory. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest to try with a different game to see if that one is corrupted or not compatible with M1.

• YM2612 lover
    • My YouTube!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 12:51:39 pm »
I think I'm a hell of a bad luck, I tested all of Terminator 2 roms I can do gameplays perfectly, even I put a Batman rom to see if it would not have the same problem.
I think it was not this time for me. lol

Offline Radaron

• Meow
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 01:43:05 pm »
Type without ".zip" just  M1.exe term2

• YM2612 lover
    • My YouTube!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 09:05:23 pm »
YAAAAY!  ;D I'ts alive!
I don't want to take much of your time you took to help me so far, but now could you write me exactly the step-by-step commands calmly for me to finally get "convert" them to VGM file?

Offline Radaron

• Meow
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 06:03:21 am »
to log VGM, type m1.exe -g romname. For example: m1.exe -g term2
cycle between songs with +/- keys

P.S type just m1.exe to see available commands and their usages.

• YM2612 lover
    • My YouTube!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 01:23:01 pm »
It doesn't recognize the following command.

Offline Radaron

• Meow
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 02:15:06 pm »
You probably using normal m1 player, you need to use "modified to log VGM" version http://vgmrips.net/programs/creators/m1-079a1_vgm.rar