Chat

Author Topic: HEAR ALL 8 NOISE SEQUENCES ON VIRTUAL BOY VSU  (Read 693 times)

Offline Bruce A. Dyson

• A fan of sound hardware
    • Email
HEAR ALL 8 NOISE SEQUENCES ON VIRTUAL BOY VSU
« on: March 31, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhRkAgiRcc&t=148s

This is what they sound like through Mednafen emulation.

Offline djmaximum

• Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:40:19 PM »
I have no idea how you get this to work. I get a small blinking curser when I start up the rom but the buttons aren't doing anything. Tested in VIBE on Mac OS X.
Other places where you can find my music.
my chiptune up
my chipmusic
my BOTB

Offline Bruce A. Dyson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 09:07:50 PM »
I have no idea how you get this to work. I get a small blinking curser when I start up the rom but the buttons aren't doing anything. Tested in VIBE on Mac OS X.
The buttons do work on Mednafen and Reality Boy. Are you trying to listen to all 8 noise sequences on there? I don't have mac to test, sorry. ;-(

I asked the developer of VSU Workshop, GuyPerfect, about this issue. It's just his code of reading the controller inputs not working on VBJin and VIBE. (Haven't tested other emulators.)

Here's a simple diagram of the noise channel LFSR, in which GuyPerfect just made, so you can get an idea of how it works:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375417371952939019/429751168776929312/vsu.png
Please note that the sound output of the LFSR is the XNOR of the two taps used. It's actually a regular XOR gate for reloading the LFSR, but with a NOT gate used only for output.

Apart from this, you should've listened to the sequences in the video above, but like I mentioned those are what Mednafen spit out from first sequence to last.

Offline djmaximum

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »
The buttons do work on Mednafen and Reality Boy. Are you trying to listen to all 8 noise sequences on there? I don't have mac to test, sorry. ;-(

I asked the developer of VSU Workshop, GuyPerfect, about this issue. It's just his code of reading the controller inputs not working on VBJin and VIBE. (Haven't tested other emulators.)

Here's a simple diagram of the noise channel LFSR, in which GuyPerfect just made, so you can get an idea of how it works:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375417371952939019/429751168776929312/vsu.png
Please note that the sound output of the LFSR is the XNOR of the two taps used. It's actually a regular XOR gate for reloading the LFSR, but with a NOT gate used only for output.

Apart from this, you should've listened to the sequences in the video above, but like I mentioned those are what Mednafen spit out from first sequence to last.
I was going to do a sound comparison between the video and other VB emulators. Plus, VIBE has an option to record audio directly from the emulator. also, what are your thoughts on using virtual box?
I also had a look at the Mednafen website, it appears to be Windows only. I had no luck trying to get that emulator running in wine. VIBE is the only emulator I know of that exists for the Mac OS X platform.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:03:06 PM by djmaximum »
my chiptune up
my chipmusic
my BOTB

Offline Bruce A. Dyson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 09:12:33 AM »
You can download OpenEmu for Mac OS X. It uses the Mednafen core for Virtual Boy.
https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/releases/download/v2.0.6.1/OpenEmu_2.0.6.1.zip

Offline djmaximum

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 01:22:15 AM »
You can download OpenEmu for Mac OS X. It uses the Mednafen core for Virtual Boy.
https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/releases/download/v2.0.6.1/OpenEmu_2.0.6.1.zip
I checked it out and it seems to be Mac OS X 10.11 or later. I'm on version 10.6.8 32 bit.
my chiptune up
my chipmusic
my BOTB

Offline Bruce A. Dyson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 01:46:12 AM »
What Mac do you have? You can install 32-bit Windows on there because almost every Mac OS X app is 64-bit.

If you still like OS X, then you can just get an x86_64 system.

Offline djmaximum

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 02:49:41 AM »
I currently have 2 Apple computers in my possession. My daily computer right now is a 2011 Macbook Pro. I also have a PowerMac G4 running Mac OS X 10.4.11 tiger. I do use that computer occasionally for testing with the TenForFox web browser. I don't own any modern Apple computers at the moment.
my chiptune up
my chipmusic
my BOTB