Chat

Author Topic: Obtaining DAC/PCM Samples From MD/Genesis Games? (particularly Shining Force)  (Read 373 times)

Offline EmperorIng

• FM/Chiptune Enthusiast
Hello, my name is EmperorIng and writing FM chiptunes has been a real hobby of mine for some time now. I am EC2151 on soundcloud and up to this point I have used the reliable VGMM by Shiru Otaku for making FM chiptunes. I have been interested in Deflemask for some time and not too long ago donated for/downloaded it for its extreme versatility. I am still making my way through tutorials and example files (slow process with IRL!), but there are other aspects I would like to take to the next level as far as writing more Genesis/MD music.

Namely, increasing my sample banks for the DAC/PCM channel.

I've gotten a request from somebody to write Shining Force-esque music, using particularly the snare drums from Shining Force 1. Looking around, I can't find anyone that has ripped the samples from SF1 or 2, so I am trying to figure out how to get the samples myself (though if anyone else has them I'd be pretty appreciative!).

I have tried importing the ROM's raw data into Audacity, though I can't quite seem to find the right Hz setting or the snare sound (there is a batch of sample data towards the back of the ROM data, with some taps and the "Gahhh!" sample sound). Is there a better way to get at the WAV files?

I also have Winamp with the in_vgm plugin, but I am not exactly sure how to isolate the DAC channel or export just that to a wav file to extract the samples. I worry that I need the "paid" version of Winamp, which I don't exactly want to do!

Thanks for any advice as to the process in advance.

Offline marcb0t

Just to make it easy, I attached them for you to this reply.

Courtesy of Aly James, via his massive Genesis sample pack which can be found by scrolling down this page:

http://www.alyjameslab.com/download.html

It sounds like the samples are compressed, or you might have heard them in Audacity. However, they're so lo-fi, it can be hard to decipher from the rest of the data noise.

Offline marcb0t

Frankly, I would recommend using higher quality, professionally recorded samples of orchestral snare drums.

I've attached a couple I've used in Deflemask that'll really soup up your song.

Oh, I added a bonus cymbal roll and piatti... which is kind of like a loud epic clashing cymbal.

You may have to snip and pre-edit the samples for optimal data conservation. But you don't have to. :)

Offline EmperorIng

• FM/Chiptune Enthusiast
Thank you for the helpful links and files! The samples sound very nice, and it was a treat to discover all of those DAC samples already ripped.

I also found a way to get the drum samples from Shining Force 1, which was to take them directly from a recording of one of the tracks where only the drums played, without other instruments. I have attached them to this post if others are interested.

I would have been able to use other samples from my own sound libraries, but my client stipulated Shining Force samples, so I had to go with them!