Chat

Author Topic: some toy keyboards I own with this strange sound chip  (Read 26316 times)

Offline djmaximum

• Email
some toy keyboards I own with this strange sound chip
« on: February 05, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
Some of you may know that I like to collect vintage keyboards. I am mostly a fan of Casio and some of the generic no-name branded keyboards, but I do once in a wile come across some keyboards from Yamaha if they have any cool features that are interesting to me. The mane focus of this topic is about this sound chip that is in some cheap generic no-name toy keyboards made in china.
In the early 90's the most common toy keyboards that had this sound chip come from companies such as Kawasaki and DSI toys Inc.
Please note that my explanation of this sound chip isn't perfect, so some of the capabilities may be a little questionable.
Sound Chip capabilities
4 channels of 64 step waveform or sample playback, 6 bit resolution?
16 or 32? volume levels for each channel.
22 different tempo settings.
Anyway, here are some photos of some toy keyboards I have with this specific sound chip.
Other places where you can find my music.
my chiptune up
my chipmusic
my BOTB

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
Can you edit the waveforms in some of those keyboards or are they just hard coded?
Please upload some audio clips! I would love to hear that chip! :D

Offline djmaximum

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:18:37 PM »
Can you edit the waveforms in some of those keyboards or are they just hard coded?
Please upload some audio clips! I would love to hear that chip! :D
I would love to do audio recordings of them, but the problem is that they don't have a headphone jack.
These keyboards are no custom synthesizers, but they do have some nice preset sounds and effects.
Edit, here's a little sample of one of the keyboards.
I should mention that one of them with this sound chip has stereo panning in the demo songs, but due to the fact that this no-name keyboard has only one speaker, you will only hear 2 of the sound channels.
The next recording demonstrates the "one key one note" feature, with various looping glitches like octave jumping. Also you can hear later in the recording, when I turn the volume up, you hear channels 2 and 3 very quietly wile channel 4 is panned to the left.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:28:51 AM by djmaximum »
Other places where you can find my music.
my chiptune up
my chipmusic
my BOTB