Chat

Author Topic: What if the Sega Genesis had a different PSG chip?  (Read 323 times)

Offline JetStar1997

• I like trains, planes, trucks, and retro games!
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
What if the Sega Genesis had a different PSG chip?
« on: July 02, 2017, 01:10:05 AM »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-LjL31TPIjKG45s1hZesrJODtYA9SXmD2NV-6vrbxs0

This was something that I was curious about. I was wondering how music from the Genesis/MegaDrive games would sound like if Sega used something besides the Texas Instruments SN76489 (Delek, I hope you don't mind me using your song Dojo for the demonstration). The video demonstrates how a song would sound with a Yamaha YM2149F while the Google Doc lists the other PSG chips that were around during the Genesis's development. Of course, the SN76489 was included mainly for backwards compatibility with the Master System games. Anyhow, what do you guys think? Should I do more videos about this?
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."
                                                           -Orville Wright

Offline Michirin9801

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:27:25 AM »
It's not the Genesis which should have had a different PSG, it's the Master System which should, they should have put something which had more notes in the lower frequencies so that you could make more satisfying basses in it, if the SMS had a better PSG then the Genesis would also have a better PSG because it would have carried over the SMS's...

I think the SMS would be better off with an AY-3-8910 in it instead of the SN76489, or at least a custom version of the AY with a 4th noise channel... Or even better, have the FM module built-in so that it could obliterate the NES not only in Graphics but also in sound! And it would probably end up being too expensive... Anyway, if the SMS had better sound, so would the Genesis...

Offline JetStar1997

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »
You got a really good point there, Michirin. Of course, the Japanese SMS had a built-in YM2413 which wasn't included (for some reason) when it was brought outside of Japan. So, maybe the SMS would've had a better PSG chip. It still leaves me to wonder why Sega had chosen an SN76489 over the AY-3-8910 or, otherwise, remove the YM2413 when the SMS was brought worldwide...
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."
                                                           -Orville Wright

Offline Michirin9801

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »
The YM2413 wasn't built-in, it was an add-on that you had to purchase sepparately, and that's probably why it wasn't included worldwide, but if it was, then it would have been the standard!

Offline JetStar1997

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:21:52 AM »
The YM2413 wasn't built-in, it was an add-on that you had to purchase sepparately, and that's probably why it wasn't included worldwide, but if it was, then it would have been the standard!

So...does that mean that this part of the article is inaccurate? http://www.segaretro.org/Sega_Master_System#Sound

It was available as a separate module for the Mark III, but it mentions of it being built-in on the Japanese Master System.
                                                           -Orville Wright

Offline bluesky

• Delek FTW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:08:07 PM »
http://segaretro.org/FM_Sound_Unit

From what I can tell it was only integrated in a later model in Japan. The original model didn't have it integrated in any region.

Offline RazerBlue6

• PC Engine Masterrace
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 06:18:38 PM »
Better noise, EnvGen waveshapes and better bass == win

Although I like the AY more than the YMF

Offline Alianger

• Super Sugoyim
    • Mini-Revver
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 11:01:58 PM »
Pretty cool. This track from Thrust (ST) shows off the chip well on its own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZtfkXkwPE

It would've been nice of course, but then again the SMS had a more unique sound as a result of not using it, and still sounded decent if you used the noise mode for bass like in Alien 3 for example (or maybe I'm just nostalgic, it was my first console :) ). Does the AY chip have that particular feature?

Edit: I think changing the clock rate (speed?) of the SMS sound chip could've been another solution to the bass problem, I've seen many notes about different settings when browsing arcade-history.com
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:08:09 PM by Alianger »
YT channel (MD music, romhacks, misc gaming): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos