Chat

Author Topic: X68000 mdx files to vgm  (Read 633 times)

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« on: April 23, 2017, 11:17:45 PM »
Hello there!
I'm working on a tool to convert mdx files to vgm (only because I want to listen to Namachuukei 68 OST by Yuji Takenouchi, one of the best things in the Chiptune history imho)

The files should be 1:1 replicas of the mdx information because I'm using a direct disassembly of the X68k MXDRV music driver to dump the data! Awesome stuff!  8)
This is the 0.1 alpha version, I think there are some bugs here and there (loop points, sample volume, tempo?) so pelase help me out to test this converter.

I have made versions for Windows and Mac:
delek.net/mdx/mdx2vgm_windows.zip
delek.net/mdx/mdx2vgm_mac.zip

Usage: mdx2vgm <file>

Offline MrKsoft

• Email
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:24:03 AM »
I have been waiting so long for a tool that does this!  But it seems to have some issues with the PDX files, example: if you feed it a file with the name SONG.MDX, it looks for SONG.PDX.PDX instead of SONG.PDX (Also, it will not convert any MDX files that do not have a corresponding PDX file, even if the song doesn't actually use a PDX file-- it will try to access ".pdx" and fail).  Renaming the PDX extension to .PDX.PDX will make it convert, but the result is bugged.  Sounds like only the first sample in the PDX is used for every single sample.  I can upload some examples if that would help.

Edit: It looks like not ALL of the MDX files I try look for (filename).PDX.PDX, only some... I just popped them open in a hex editor and it looks like some MDX files refer to their PDX with the PDX extension and some do not.  Guess it's something you may have to check for.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:29:34 AM by MrKsoft »

Offline RazerBlue6

• PC Engine Masterrace
    • Twitter
    • Email
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
Next thing you're gonna say is you've found a way to convert YM2151 + 1channel PCM (SegaPCM) .vgm to MDX haha  :P

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
I have been waiting so long for a tool that does this!  But it seems to have some issues with the PDX files, example: if you feed it a file with the name SONG.MDX, it looks for SONG.PDX.PDX instead of SONG.PDX (Also, it will not convert any MDX files that do not have a corresponding PDX file, even if the song doesn't actually use a PDX file-- it will try to access ".pdx" and fail).  Renaming the PDX extension to .PDX.PDX will make it convert, but the result is bugged.  Sounds like only the first sample in the PDX is used for every single sample.  I can upload some examples if that would help.

Edit: It looks like not ALL of the MDX files I try look for (filename).PDX.PDX, only some... I just popped them open in a hex editor and it looks like some MDX files refer to their PDX with the PDX extension and some do not.  Guess it's something you may have to check for.
Yeah, that bug is already fixed. I will update the builds asap.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
I have updated the builds, also here is the source code: https://github.com/LeonardoDemartino/mdx2vgm

Offline Tails19935

• FM Rocks!
    • Email
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:42:29 AM »
So far has worked pretty well! Used it to help with getting a midi from a game. Is there a VGM converter for other X68000 file formats? I'm not sure if all of these are music formats but I have discovered the following...
.X, .ZMD, .MGD, .ADX, .BIN, .USO, .PCD? (After writing this list I have come to realize there are quite a few different formats. Are there converters that can turn these into MDX format maybe?)

After looking into this article, http://vgmrips.net/wiki/Sharp_X68000, it seems there are three formats.
MXDRV: MDX / PDX / MML
ZmuSiC: ZMD / ZPD / ZMS
OPMDRV: MML

Maybe an all in one X68000 music drive to VGM converter could be made?

So are .X, .MGD, .ADX, .BIN, .USO, .PCD not music formats or are they custom made formats that are obscure and are almost impossible to disassemble? I'm probably thinking too far ahead though and asking for so much. :/
Just a thought I guess...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:08:28 AM by Tails19935 »

Offline Paul999

• Ugrrr... Trakeando sistemas...
    • Email
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
Just to ripping MDX formats a games X68000 to converter VGM formats. Logging MDX or VGM? who log in the Hoot?

Offline Radaron

• Meow
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 03:37:18 AM »
Is there a VGM converter for other X68000 file formats?
I don't think theres one that can directly convert these in vgm, your best would be to log them with xm6 vgm mod.   
From what I know, *.x  are executable files, just like *.exe on windows, and about others, unlike vgms these files requires sound driver to play them, that is for example how hoot plays them. that is these files alone would do any good without appropriate sound driver.  Is there anything in particular you want to achieve? or just want to store music in vgm format? 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:39:17 AM by Radaron »

Offline Tails19935

• FM Rocks!
    • Email
X68000 mdx files to vgm
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 05:02:17 AM »
Is there anything in particular you want to achieve?
My main goals are converting some game soundtracks to MIDI so I can upload them to VGMusic for people to remix, like myself, and rip the OPM voice patches. I will try that XM6 VGM logger sometime but I won't be able to till my terabyte drive gets fixed. :( It has a virtual hard drive file that plays MDX files in X68000. I could technically re-download the MDX player virtual drive but I'm really running out of space on my personal computer. If I'm that desperate I will probably take that route. Thanks for answering my question.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:04:02 AM by Tails19935 »