Chat

Author Topic: 8-bit Capcom NES Instruments?  (Read 180 times)

Offline PublicEnemy1

• Delek FTW
    • Email
8-bit Capcom NES Instruments?
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »
I was just wondering how to make/import them, so I can recreate the likes of MegaMan and the Disney Afternoon games.

Offline Yung Gotenks

• Delek FTW
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
well, i know someone made a instrument pack for famitracker, a tracker that's more suited for NES music making (if you want to check it out, here: http://forums.famitracker.com/viewtopic.php?t=1158 ) but you could recreate these in deflemask if you don't know FamiTracker and don't feel like learning a new tracker. The instrument values that FamiTracker use for NES are basically the exact same as DefleMasks' , so go crazy if you want to do that.

Offline Michirin9801

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »
You realise that there's only like, 5 different sounds that the NES can produce outside of samples, and that they're all hard-coded into the chip right?
Any "instruments" you can make on the NES which aren't samples (which Megaman doesn't even use as far as I'm concerned) are variations in volume and duty cycle envelopes of said sounds...

If you wanna make Megaman style music, just watch this video:
and then have at it with the square waves...

Offline Curriculum Crasher

• Always learnin'
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:28:47 AM »
I've done several Mega Man NES covers in DefleMask. You'll find some in the NES Demo folder, and the rest are posted in the Video Game Music Cover thread. It is correct that "instruments" is a very limited concept for Capcom's NES sound driver, not just because of the limited waveforms of the NES. What may work best, if you want to sound like 8-bit Capcom, is to work within the soft restrains of the driver, particularly the one used prior to 1990. Here are a few notes:

1. Sakaguchi used an attack buffer of 1 frame of silence. This allowed for separation between repeated pitches that are moving quickly with a slow decay, which gives a full sound. Otherwise the notes would either have to change pitch or use a faster decay, which wouldn't sound very Capcom—think the fast repeated notes in Wily Stage 1 in Mega Man 2 or the Title Screen. When you make an instrument, just have the first frame start with 0 and then go to a high volume and decay slowly at a regular interval. Do the same for an instrument and give it a rapid decay, which can be used in the noise channel for percussion.

2. The triangle tom-tom portamentos are not done chromatically, but rather with a sweep, which is faster and falls outside the pitch table. Use 2xx instead of 3xx. Pick a high note in the 5th octave as your starting point and experiment with different speeds...211 works well. The slowest portamento speed (201) is saved for dramatic slides in lead parts.

3. Apply heavy vibrato (4xx) to lead parts in the middle of the note's duration, with enough depth that it's quite noticeable. Note that vibrato depth will need to be adjusted at higher and lower frequencies. Think Duck Tales the Moon.

4. Bun Bun used heavy detuning a lot in Mega Man 3. Double the part in the two pulse wave channels and detune 1 by several degrees until you really notice the effect. Try E577-E57A or a few degrees around.

5. There is no single-channel echo, so use the two-channel echo for expressive, lyrical leads in the pulse wave channels. The echoing channel should have a lower attack volume before the decay.

6. Both Mega Man and Mega Man 2 made use of the looped noise effect "1201", which gives the metallic sounds (e.g. Quick Man).

These are some that I can think of right now, but open up the .dmf's I've done and poke around for some ideas.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:36:24 AM by Curriculum Crasher »
Genesis Consoles:
MD1 VA2 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA3 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA6 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA7 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA1 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA1 ASIC YM3438 (w/ Helder's MegaAmp)
MD2 VA2.3 Discrete YM2612
MD2 VA3 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA4 GOAC YM3438 (MK-1451 Majesco)

Offline lazygecko

• Delek FTW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
Actual enveloped instruments get more common the further into 90's era Capcom NES you get. Especially in Mega Man 5 I think you can hear a lot of tones with tremolo and the likes, and the noise drums get volume envelopes as well taking on a more "reverby" sound.