Chat

Author Topic: Basic FM Waveforms for YM2612 / YM2151  (Read 6432 times)

Offline 5alazar

Basic FM Waveforms for YM2612 / YM2151
« on: November 13, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »
As an addition to all the instruments already available in this forum, I made a pack with basic FM waveforms you can use as a starting point for custom instruments, which is what I use them for. Some additional information:  8)

- "init" is modeled after the patch you get when initializing a sound on a dx-synth
- the standard analog waveforms use 2 operators with feedback (except for pulse2)
- the waveforms named "_casc" use algorithm 0 with all operators / no feedback
- I've tried to keep the envelope-settings uniform and simple

I came up with most of those after experimentation and studying FM, back when I used VGM Music Maker. You can, for example, easily create basses etc. by increasing the d2r-value of modulators on saw- and pulsewaves. They're also great for layering sounds!

Anyway, I hope you guys find these useful, they may come in handy sometime!

Edit: Updated the package with a patch from Spoonybard, which has a timbre similar to the Famicom-triangle. Still need to figure out how to create a pulse with 12.5 width!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:44:26 AM by 5alazar »

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:20 PM »
That's a nice collection! If I may put up an instrument of my own, try this one for the triangle wave. The one in the collection just sounds like an MS-DOS game bass, and while mine isn't perfect, it can be masked well under other instruments.
Music truly is without age.

Offline 5alazar

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 11:30:55 AM »
Thanks man, that one is perfect! I've made some tweaks to your patch (nothing timbral though) and got rid of the MS-DOS bass. Updated!!!  :)

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 01:21:28 AM »
Oooh, this is pretty cool and it might help me understand FM synth a little better! Very nice ^^