Chat

Author Topic: DefleMask extremely slow on my netbook  (Read 90 times)

Offline jmph

• Delek FTW
DefleMask extremely slow on my netbook
« on: June 02, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »
So I set up an Acer AspireOne D270 for show use. It's a dual-core 64-bit Atom N2600 @ 1.6GHz running Linux Mint 18 XFCE. 1024x600 display. It's not great, but that should be enough for DefleMask right?

Well, apparently not... it runs way sluggish in just about every way. Even with the buffers set to maximum and the display updates capped at 15 FPS it's not fast enough to play a song without glitching. I tried using Fluxbox instead of XFCE which didn't help.

Schism Tracker runs just fine on the same machine, for comparison. It can play complex 32-channel modules with envelopes and filters no problem.

I was surprised about this because DefleMask actually runs way better on my much lower-specced EeePC (with a resolution tweak.) That one is a 566MHz PIII Celeron, so the Aspire should run circles around it.

What's going on with the Aspire? The only thing I can think of is the video driver/openGL implimentation slowing it down? It has a PowerVR chip which doesn't have great Linux support, but it should be 'good enough' right? This thing can play 480P Youtube acceptably and even runs some old OGL games.

Any suggestions on how to improve this?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:47:59 PM by jmph »

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
DefleMask extremely slow on my netbook
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »
It sounds like your video drivers are screwing up how deflemask renders stuff on the screen. You can try another driver or wait the beta of the next version which will run a lot faster.