Chat

Author Topic: DefleMask History and REMOVE YAMAHA YMU759 SUPPORT  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
DefleMask History and REMOVE YAMAHA YMU759 SUPPORT
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:54:08 pm »
DefleMask's History  8):

Back in the day I had an FM phone (a Samsung X426 to be precise, Yamaha called the sound FM SMAF), I loved how it sound, like Sonic!, awesome FM stuff. I imagined myself playing custom made music with it like a Mobile FM Chiptune freak all over the place. This was like being a chiptune nerd inside a phone nerd inside a FM nerd. (?)

Then I started slowly to reverse engineer the chip and to create something called DELEK SMAF PLAYER: a simple program to playback and edit .mmf files that I get from the old phones. Year 2011.

For 3 months I was almost possessed to make that happen (I remember talking with my father one night after dinner about how YAMAHA managed to compress the register writes ussing strange nibble uses!) and when the speakers finally started to output sound, I was really really happy. I was able to modify the instruments and also the tempo!, so I thought: I can add an interface to this and make a music tracker!?
And then, DELEK SMAF become DEFLEMASK TRACKER

The code was a mess, really, like every reverse engineering project. But it was functional and I was very impressed that I can make an old phone play my own music!, however, some months after the release lot of people started to ask me to make a tracker for SEGA Genesis because there were no complete trackers for it (remember that this was year 2011, TFM Music Maker don't supported PSG. PCM Samples neither)

People managed to convince me and I worked in a new tracker for 1 hour. Because 1 hour took me to realize that I needed to add Multi System support to my tracker. And I did it.
After the release of the 3.5 (the first version with more than 1 system), the code of DefleMask was, actually, 2 programs sharing the interface. This was not an important issue for me, because it seemed logical: 2 system, 2 main cores.

But after adding more systems, have improved a lot the code, port Defle to Mac OS X and Linux. The things changed a lot, and the scene right now in 2015 is something like this:

DefleMask UI (Cross-Platform)

DefleMask Main Core (Cross-Platform)
SEGA Genesis
SEGA Master System
Commodore 64
Nintendo NES
Nintendo Game Boy
NEC PC-Engine
ARCADE (YM2151 + SEGA PCM)

DefleMask YMU759 Mess Reverse Engineered Core (Windows Only)

As DefleMask started to add more "mainstream" soundchips, the YMU759 has by now fewer and fewer users! Also, the YMU759 emulator is closed source and the .dll is only for Windows! So it don't work on Linux and Mac!

I'm planning to clean DefleMask and only leave the main cores, the well designed ones! and finally remove YMU759 support.

TL; DR: I want you to post how much you will suffer if I remove YMU759 from version 11. DO YOU ACTUALLY USE IT?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:33:47 am by Delek »

Offline InversePhase

• Delek FTW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 12:27:27 am »
Even though I'm a Linux user, I'm also an archivist and collector. I don't like to see platforms die. So, I would be a little bummed, but I can't use it without running Windows Deflemask under Wine. And I guess we can always use the previous version of Deflemask if we want to write YMU759 tracks, right? Anyway............do what you have to do. =]

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 12:40:31 am »
Yes, version 10c of DefleMask will be available, so you can use YMU759 there, but there are very few users to keep it in the main branch.

Offline Niko

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 05:45:41 am »
Well I don't use YMU759 as it is totally unusable and should be replaced with OPL2/OPL3 :P. Trying to do anything with it is so hard, as it's so glitchy and broken. Effects don't work, instruments behave weirdly (they tend to become corrupted very often) and it feels really alpha-like.

Offline Heavy Viper

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 05:56:07 am »
While I've only used the YMU759 mode in passing, I think it'd be a shame to just get rid of something that meant/means so much to you. I'd support removing it from Deflemask as long as a previous version with it intact is still available.

Offline InversePhase

• Delek FTW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:58:28 am »
I'll "me too" opl support, though we do have adtrack2 reality tracker etc for those, so maybe we should focus on asking for something we don't have an easy/nice tracker for. like maybe the vic20? =]

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:23:47 pm »
I've never tried out the YMU759, but I understand why it's a difficult decision for you. If there's no other choice, just go ahead. There will still be the old builds for people to grab in case they wanted to check it out.

Offline jrlepage

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 04:17:06 am »
Also in favour of replacing it with OPL3!

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 07:22:27 am »
YMU759 removed, DefleMask now is a 100% cross platform software, and the code looks beautiful.

Thanks YMU759 for light the fuse in my brain to start developing DefleMask.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:33:24 am by Delek »