Chat

Author Topic: DefleMask Tutorials  (Read 20750 times)

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
DefleMask Tutorials
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:35:26 AM »
Tutorial 1: Basics
Tutorial 2: Envelopes (Macros)
Tutorial 3: Advanced Shortcuts

If you done a tutorial for DefleMask, send me a link or post it in this thread, so I can check it and then add it here as the next Official DefleMask tutorial.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:39:31 PM by Delek »

Offline mihaelkyeah

• Learn the best from all worlds
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
DefleMask Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:49:55 PM »
I did a basic tutorial thingy on how to play bass drum / snare / toms along with cymbals (combining a percussive operator with a decaying noise) in a single channel, presumably the sixth channel. I got the idea from one of the ripped instruments from Splatterhouse 3, and in fact I tested it copying (by ear) one of the drum patterns from the ending credits music.

Basically what you do is identify the operators that modify the timbre of the drum and adjust the operator volumes with the 12, 13, 14 and 15 effects, to obtain the sound you desire for each note.

Offline Heavy Viper

DefleMask Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »
@kyusawamura: This is outrageously handy, thank you!

Offline mihaelkyeah

• Learn the best from all worlds
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
DefleMask Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 05:10:46 PM »
@kyusawamura: This is outrageously handy, thank you!
I'm glad I could help. :3 I still couldn't get the drums to sound just like they actually do in SH3. ;w;

Offline Omake

DefleMask Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
Hello! I'm new here. I'm also new to making music in general. I have zero experience in music programs and having watching the first basic tutorial, most of what was talked about was lost on me entirely. But I really want to make arcade style music. Do I need to start elsewhere before using this program? I really don't have any sort of clue as to where to start still. :c

Offline Curriculum Crasher

• Always learnin'
    • Email
DefleMask Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 12:49:11 AM »
I'd check out the videos SpoonyBard made on YouTube for some additional guidance.

I also think you'll learn a lot by loading some Demo Songs. If you hear something you like, take a closer at what's put in the instrument editors or in the effect columns and cross reference those numbers with what you can read about in the manual.

If you have specific questions, though, I'm sure some folks on the forums would be willing to help! =) I'm pretty familiar with the NES/Famicom and Genesis/MegaDrive modules, somewhat with the Turbografx16/PC-Engine, Sega Master System, and Gameboy modules, and not as much with the Commodore 64 and Arcade modules.

Hello! I'm new here. I'm also new to making music in general. I have zero experience in music programs and having watching the first basic tutorial, most of what was talked about was lost on me entirely. But I really want to make arcade style music. Do I need to start elsewhere before using this program? I really don't have any sort of clue as to where to start still. :c
Genesis Consoles:
MD1 VA2 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA3 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA6 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA7 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA1 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA1 ASIC YM3438 (w/ Helder's MegaAmp)
MD2 VA2.3 Discrete YM2612
MD2 VA3 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA4 GOAC YM3438 (MK-1451 Majesco)

Offline Curriculum Crasher

• Always learnin'
    • Email
DefleMask Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 12:55:47 AM »
There is also a good podcast on SoundCloud that discuss many of these module platforms in depth. There isn't much information on how to use a tracker, but it can give you an indication of what limitations and opportunities are possible with the various modules:

https://soundcloud.com/retrogameaudio

As mentioned above, here are the YouTube videos SpoonyBard made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwX20kq9wnU  (part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCCfrnJ_Fm8  (part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54fffL5p6gQ (part 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLgdkWAhEf4 (part 4)

Genesis Consoles:
MD1 VA2 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA3 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA6 Discrete YM2612
MD1 VA7 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA1 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA1 ASIC YM3438 (w/ Helder's MegaAmp)
MD2 VA2.3 Discrete YM2612
MD2 VA3 ASIC YM3438
MD2 VA4 GOAC YM3438 (MK-1451 Majesco)

Offline UrbanFlowX26

• Delek FTW
    • Soundcloud
DefleMask Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 08:50:17 PM »
Thanks for this man, I just got this tracker. I am new when it comes to this so it helps.