Chat

Author Topic: > DefleMask v0.12.0 RELEASED! <  (Read 198099 times)

Offline NARFNra

• Email
> DefleMask 11 PRE-RELEASE! <
« Reply #390 on: September 11, 2015, 05:14:08 pm »
I've also run into the C issue with the E5 command.
So how does FM Channel 8 work? It seems to make a lot of noise. I'm still not totally sure how to use the 10 command as well.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: September 11, 2015, 05:28:02 pm »
Open the EXAMPLE_SET_NOISE.dmf to fully understand how it works (only operator 4 makes noise, the rest are independent)

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2015, 08:54:25 pm »
I finally fixed the E5 bug with C notes. It should be PERFECT now.

If you don't find any other bugs, please test out how stable is now the YM2151 emulator.
If everything appears fine, I will start to add SEGA PCM.

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2015, 10:23:45 pm »
Great! I'll do some more testing with the other effects and let you know in case.

Offline Demick12

• Enemy Of The Warring States
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2015, 11:31:36 pm »
One little bug: is there supposed to be a sine wave LFO with the YM2151 LFO shapes, or is that just left over from the Genesis emulation?

Also: for the LFO waves, whenever I stop the pattern I am working on then replay, the time I wait for replays is the time it takes to change the LFO wave. See fid you can replicate this and tell me what you think.

Here's what I mean in the attachment.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:51:17 pm by Demick12 »
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: September 12, 2015, 01:54:48 am »
LFO SHAPES: 0 SAW, 1 SQUARE, 2 TRIANGLE, 3 NOISE (Genesis emulation is not even running while YM2151 is selected) Are you confusing the Triangle shape with a Sine wave?
Regarding to the LFO shape set delay, I don't know what's happening. It is super rare. I will look into it. Any other bug? How about the stability?

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #396 on: September 12, 2015, 12:44:57 pm »
what I meant to say is that it seems the triangle wave LFO is going at the same time the noise is, but at a different rate.

A better example (I got carried away with the last example) is posted.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:49:07 pm by Demick12 »
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: September 12, 2015, 01:24:48 pm »
First of all, you are confusing things a little bit:

The YM2151 has an LFO unit that can be used for strange pitch changes with 4 waveforms (these are controlled by 17xx and 18xx effects)
The YM2151 can output Periodic Noise from the 4th operator of the 8th channel, this is is similar to NES, Game Boy and SMS noises. (controlled by effect 10xx, and this has nothing to do with noise shaped LFO).

A noisy shaped LFO is used to make rapid random note changes and some robot sounds, please don't be confused with noise like in NES or Game Boy.

Regarding to your module file, it is simply activating the Periodic Noise for a channel that can't do it (10xx effect in a channel different from FM8 is not available), also you are requesting an LFO with Noise shape at max speed FF.

Check my attachment, it sets at the channel FM1 a noise LFO and after some seconds a Triangle LFO.
After some time, I call periodic noise in FM8 channel.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:51:43 pm by Delek »

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: September 12, 2015, 05:07:50 pm »
Ok guys, I will need your help to find info/datasheets/whatever about SEGA PCM. I don't seem to find any sources and trying to use it by reading the MAME emulator is a pain.

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #399 on: September 12, 2015, 06:25:43 pm »
I think 3noneTwo and I already posted all the infos alvailable on the chip in the "Next system to be added" thread. If you have trouble with the MAME sources try to contact ValleyBell over at the vgmrips forums. He's a skilled programmer who specializes in sound chips.

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #400 on: September 12, 2015, 06:55:52 pm »
I think I may be a little too used to my DX synths... -_-'

Anyway, I completely forgot that 10xx was dedicated to only channel 8... That was stupid of me :D

I also forgot that LFO FM amount is controlled by the FM slider in the instrument and so is AM. Hmmm... -_-'

Sorry about that.

Though, I think the confusion lies in the fact that 10xx is LFO amount in the Genesis and in the YM2151 it is used for channel 8's Periodic Noise. That tripped me up a little.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:17:52 pm by Demick12 »
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline NARFNra

• Email
« Reply #401 on: September 13, 2015, 03:06:01 am »
Having lots of fun with the 2151 so far :)!
This isn't an amazingly noteworthy composition, lots of volume issues in places, but it was fun to make. This was made on the release with glitched E5, hence the detuned notes skipping C later on. I should probs dl the latest prerelease and change it around. Is it just me, or does the YM2151 sound better than the Genesis with a lot of instruments? :o

Good luck with the PCM, can't wait for it!

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #402 on: September 13, 2015, 11:28:45 am »
Y'know, it is cool that you are as juiced as I am about this chip. That's nice. :)

Update: Your tune is deliciously dark btw. 8)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:40:18 am by Demick12 »
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #403 on: September 13, 2015, 02:48:55 pm »
Ok guys, bad news... JUST JOKING. 8)

You can test it out the new pre-release with SEGA PCM support right now. There are some .vgm format issues that need to be fixed for PCM playback but apart from that, it is working nicely.

Offline Wonderpanda

• Email
« Reply #404 on: September 13, 2015, 04:37:20 pm »
AWESOME. SEGA-PCM :D

I tested it and these are the issues that i found:

The volume now is very high, in contrast to the YM2612 pcm which was way too low and maybe unsuitable to multisampling. It's controllable with samples at a lower volume or using the volume panel into the sample preference but maybe it's a bit weirdly high, don't know if it mixes well between the channels.

Strange volume issues, the first time i play the loop the PCM has a volume and when it loops che volume changes. The issue is also present when you load another sample.

Strange cracking noise, especially with bass drum samples, no matter the volume.

In VGM playback the PCM plays at lower frequencies. I made two VGMS. the first one is at the regular frequency in Deflemask (22050 hz) BUT it plays lower in vgm, the second one is at 32000 hz and it plays at "regular" 22050 in VGM.

Last but not least, i think the PCM volume in VGM playback is a bit higher too

I attach the dmf file and the two vgms (sorry for the shitty drum loop it was made in an hurry :D)