Chat

Author Topic: > DefleMask v0.12.0 RELEASED! <  (Read 196423 times)

Offline Demick12

• Enemy Of The Warring States
    • Email
> DefleMask 10 pre-release -FEEDBACK, PLEASE- <
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2015, 01:43:04 am »
Here's a Defletheme. Tell me what you think.
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2015, 02:48:18 am »
Wow it is lovely!
However, it starts instantly maybe an slower attack to the entire theme could be added?, like drums while the mask is moving or the bass portamenting like the last one?
I mean, when the logo stops moving the tune should EXPLODE. <3

PS: I LOVE THE NEW "DEFLEMASK" VOICE!

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2015, 11:51:49 am »
Ahhh... noted.
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2015, 12:10:15 pm »
Tell me what you think about this one.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:13:11 pm by Demick12 »
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2015, 11:53:08 pm »
Awesome!, I like it!

It is possible, as an extra intro tune, to re make the old one from the BETA 3 but in SEGA Genesis?
THIS ONE:

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2015, 12:05:23 am »
For a second there, it did sound SEGA-ish, but now I remember that I made that one using the YMAF emu. I'll see what I can cook up.
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:01 am »
The first theme, I do believe it was, that I ever made for this program below. Slightly modified for newer audiences and, well, also for the fact that I don't remember how the exact parts go. So yeah, it's a bit different without sounding horrible.

Oh: also, it's for the SEGA Genesis. :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:48:40 pm by Demick12 »
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Offline DevEd

• Not to be confused with Delek
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2015, 12:20:13 pm »
I REALLY like the new Game Boy core. However, I have a few requests/bug reports:
• The noise channel is a little quiet.
• As for the wave channel, the max volume setting (volume 3) is ok, but volumes 2 and 1 are too quiet.
• There is an annoying clicking sound when using arpeggios.
• Volume control is broken on the wave channel. Now instead of using 0, 1, 2, and 3, I have to use 0, 8, C, and F.
• On top of that, arpeggios completely ignore volume control.
• Request: Add sample support!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:11:44 pm by DevEd »

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2015, 07:37:47 am »
The first theme, I do believe it was, that I ever made for this program below. Slightly modified for newer audiences and, well, also for the fact that I don't remember how the exact parts go. So yeah, it's a bit different without sounding horrible.

Oh: also, it's for the SEGA Genesis. :)
Thanks!
• As for the wave channel, the max volume setting (volume 3) is ok, but volumes 2 and 1 are too quiet.
Do you have an example of how it should sound?, maybe a record of a DefleMask .gb file from an actual Game Boy? In order to adjust volumes exactly like in the real hardware.
I will look around creating arpeggios only changing the frequency, not re-triggering the note.
• Volume control is broken on the wave channel. Now instead of using 0, 1, 2, and 3, I have to use 0, 8, C, and F.
This is on purpose.
Samples in Game Boy are a completely new world, this console was not meant to play samples trough the wave channel, it is a hack actually. Maybe this can be added on next version, I need some information before and study the process a little.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline DevEd

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2015, 03:43:32 pm »
Do you have an example of how it should sound?, maybe a record of a DefleMask .gb file from an actual Game Boy? In order to adjust volumes exactly like in the real hardware.
I will look around creating arpeggios only changing the frequency, not re-triggering the note.
This is on purpose.
Samples in Game Boy are a completely new world, this console was not meant to play samples trough the wave channel, it is a hack actually. Maybe this can be added on next version, I need some information before and study the process a little.

Thanks for the feedback!
How it should sound: Unfortunately, I do not have proper equipment to test on hardware (I was supposed to get $88 for Christmas so I could get one of these, but I was screwed over and got one of these instead), so the best I can offer is to direct you to a GB emulator with 100% accurate sound emulation. (Gambatte also has 100% accurate sound emulation, but it has a tendency to randomly reject Deflemask-created ROMs for some unexplained reason.)

Volume control on wave channel: For what reason did you decide to make it like that? Seriously, WHY?

Sample support: There are several ways to go about doing sample playback on a Game Boy. The most simple way to go about this would be to convert the samples to 4-bits@1920Hz, and then pump the sample data into the wavetable buffer, 16 bytes at a time. This method was used by Project S-11. I highly suggest you take a look at the GBS file to see how it works. Note, however, that samples played back using this method usually sound like shit. Theoretically, if you increased the clock speed, you could get higher quality samples using this method, but that would be infeasible since the resulting song would not play back properly on hardware (unless you resorted to overclocking, which kinda defeats the purpose anyway.)

...or, if you're completely insane, you could try doing samples the Cannon Fodder way. (BTW You may notice that the sound quality on the intro theme sounds like shit. This is because the CPU is too busy handling FULL MOTION VIDEO. For the record, this is what it sounds like when the song is ripped directly from the ROM using Audacity.)

Good luck ;)

...Speaking of clock speed, I would highly suggest disabling the option to use PAL mode for Game Boy modules, since the Game Boy runs at ~60Hz no matter what.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:51:34 pm by DevEd »

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2015, 09:24:58 pm »
so the best I can offer is to direct you to a GB emulator with 100% accurate sound emulation. (Gambatte also has 100% accurate sound emulation, but it has a tendency to randomly reject Deflemask-created ROMs for some unexplained reason.)
Why it is rejecting the roms?, I don't have time right now to attack this issue. Someone could contact the developer?, I really don't see anything bad at DefleMask .gb roms.
Volume control on wave channel: For what reason did you decide to make it like that? Seriously, WHY?
For various reasons:
1: Noobs. Lot of users are asking me why the WAVE Channel don't change volume, over and over again. Even if this is in the manual (0-3 range).
2: DefleMask uses a MAX_VOLUME value per system, in Game Boy it is F. This value is used in lot of places, for example, while doing volume slides by effect. It was a lot of work to make it work fine in the 0-3 range without changing lot of code, only for the WAVE Channel. I simply reject the idea of having 0-3 volume range and, instead, using 0-F values and assigning accordingly at the moment of writing the register in the chip.
3: Pattern re-utilization. If you create a good sounding volume stuff for a Square channel, you can copy and paste and having a similar behavior in the WAVE channel. In the other way you will have to do the math yourself and changing lot of values to fit the 0-3 accepted numbers.

Sample support: There are several ways to go about doing sample playback on a Game Boy. The most simple way to go about this would be to convert the samples to 4-bits@1920Hz, and then pump the sample data into the wavetable buffer, 16 bytes at a time. This method was used by Project S-11. I highly suggest you take a look at the GBS file to see how it works. Note, however, that samples played back using this method usually sound like shit. Theoretically, if you increased the clock speed, you could get higher quality samples using this method, but that would be infeasible since the resulting song would not play back properly on hardware (unless you resorted to overclocking, which kinda defeats the purpose anyway.)

...or, if you're completely insane, you could try doing samples the Cannon Fodder way. (BTW You may notice that the sound quality on the intro theme sounds like shit. This is because the CPU is too busy handling FULL MOTION VIDEO. For the record, this is what it sounds like when the song is ripped directly from the ROM using Audacity.)
LSDJ uses the first or second method?

B00daW

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2015, 02:51:41 am »
1.) Dxx command seems to be ignored/broken in release 10a; at least with SMS.  Did not try with other chips because became too frustrated.  Bxx command could be used but then you could not reuse patterns.

2.) DefleMask 10 DMFs do NOT load in 9.  I was working on a song and the Dxx bug plagued it so I tried loading it into 9.  Not compatible.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2015, 05:07:29 am »
1.) Dxx command seems to be ignored/broken in release 10a; at least with SMS.  Did not try with other chips because became too frustrated.  Bxx command could be used but then you could not reuse patterns.
Working fine here, can't replicate it. Do you have a .dmf of this?
2.) DefleMask 10 DMFs do NOT load in 9.  [...]  Not compatible.
Forward Compatibility? What you are asking is like playing a Windows 9 game on Windows 95.  ;D

.dmf files are backward compatible, but not forward compatible.

Offline DevEd

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2015, 09:51:48 am »
What you are asking is like playing a Windows 9 game on Windows 95.  ;D
Windows 9 doesn't actually exist. Microsoft somehow decided that after Windows 8, it would be a good idea to skip straight to 10.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2015, 09:56:03 am »
Bill Gates told me that they skipped 9 only to stay in the same version number than DefleMask because he likes chiptunes. :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:58:07 am by Delek »