Chat

Author Topic: > DefleMask v0.12.0 RELEASED! <  (Read 198101 times)

Offline mihaelkyeah

• Learn the best from all worlds
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
> DefleMask 11 PRE-RELEASE! <
« Reply #420 on: September 14, 2015, 03:48:30 pm »
SegaPCM is used in Power Drive and that one has sampled tonal instruments, and so does the Neo Geo YM2610 in Thrash Rally with sampled guitar and bass (At least it seems like it, because if they were to record one sample for each note it would take up a lot of space...)

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #421 on: September 14, 2015, 04:54:46 pm »
The SegaPCM has no pitch control. Believe it or not recording multiple notes of the same sample was the way to go at the time, before chips like QSound and MultiPCM came around. So yeah, the SegaPCM was one of the most powerful for its time (8-bit samples over 16 channels with raw stereo weren't something you could hear everyday from a coin-op during the mid-late 80's).

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #422 on: September 14, 2015, 05:02:28 pm »
Hmm, that explains why the rhythm guitar in Power Drive was at such low quality. However, Sunset Riders and The Simpsons had tonal samples too, which makes me think Konami PCM chips (like the K053260 in the Sunset Riders / TMNT: Turtles in Time system) may have had pitch control.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: September 14, 2015, 11:20:19 pm »
Ok guys, pre-release updated!!!!

NEWS:
- Fixed some bugs regarding to looping songs in an exported .vgm file. (thanks kyusawamura for the report)
- Added a Refresh button to the MIDI input menu to detect new connected devices. (thanks FD for the request)
- YM2151/SEGA PCM exported .vgm files: Fixed sample rate playback. (thanks LukeMcQueen for reporting this)
- YM2151/SEGA PCM samples: Fixed sample size playback. (thanks LukeMcQueen for reporting this)

ATTENTION:
* MAX SAMPLING RATE in SEGA PCM was reduced to 31250hz, that's the actual HW limit.
* I changed the folder name from YM2151 to YM2151_SPCM (please move your instrument and delete YM2151 folder)

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #424 on: September 15, 2015, 01:48:01 am »
I'm happy I could help.

Another thing I don't know if it's been updated in the new pre release: some YM2151 instruments change their parameters if you save a DMF in PAL clock speed, close the program and open it again. I don't know how I could show you this, maybe exporting a VGM before saving and sending you the presumably altered DMF afterwards.

I should test it again with other projects in NTSC to see if it's actually got to do with the newer pre release (the one before the current).

Offline 3noneTwo

« Reply #425 on: September 15, 2015, 06:08:29 am »
It is achieved by having multiple pitches for the same sample.
I don't know why the SEGA PCM is considered a powerful chip, it is only a player of raw data from an external ROM hardware. It doesn't have even its own memory.

What Rail Chase did on track 3 is to change the sampling rate, so it will play at different pitch but also different speed. That formula won't work for instruments, because you are not controlling the pitch in a precise way. It is suitable only for SFX.
Aah okay, interesting limitation to keep in mind, thanks for clarifying! I suppose if I really need multiple pitches for samples, I can always change the sampling rate in a sound editor. (as long as I keep it under the maximum sampling rate)

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #426 on: September 15, 2015, 11:34:55 am »
some YM2151 instruments change their parameters if you save a DMF in PAL clock speed, close the program and open it again.
The PAL/NTSC/CustomHZ is only a a single number in the .DMF file. I don't think it is related with the issue.
Please try to replicate this, maybe a specific parameter of the YM2151 is not being stored in the module file (strange, because DT2 is the only one REALLY new parameter and I've tested it)

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #427 on: September 15, 2015, 11:44:39 am »
From what I've noticed this seems more keen to happen with instruments made from YM2612 dmp's as a base. I'll look further into this and make a bug report when I can.

Offline DevEd

• Not to be confused with Delek
« Reply #428 on: September 15, 2015, 04:38:19 pm »
Ever since the Axy command was disabled for Game Boy, any module that used it on the wave channel is now broken. For an example, check ltcc_zoo.dmf in the demo modules.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #429 on: September 15, 2015, 04:44:13 pm »
Yes, thanks for the report. I will enable 05xx, 06xx, 07xx and 0Axx only for WAVE again on next pre-release update.

Any other reports before the public release of version 11?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:48:45 pm by Delek »

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #430 on: September 15, 2015, 07:38:18 pm »
The panning works weird in the YM2151. I once forgot to put 0811 again in one channel and it still panned the instrument to the centre. And sometimes instruments get randomly panned one side or another even if they don't have 01 or 10 as a setting anywhere earlier in the song – especially once it's started looping.

Also, last night I wanted to load some drums to use with the SegaPCM and the 6th sample (a crash cymbal on F#) played briefly before automatically playing the first three again in order. When I get back home I will upload examples of the SegaPCM and also update the Outrage module which had panning mistakes (as previously mentioned, I had forgotten to return the panning to center and it still did so on its own in the first loop, and so did the exported VGM.)

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #431 on: September 15, 2015, 08:14:36 pm »
Looking forward to the examples so I can fix those bugs.

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #432 on: September 15, 2015, 08:24:57 pm »
The 08xx effect definitely has some issues. I haven't noticed any random panning changes, but when enabled it lowers the channel volume by a lot. I attached an example.

Also, last night I wanted to load some drums to use with the SegaPCM and the 6th sample (a crash cymbal on F#) played briefly before automatically playing the first three again in order.
This sounds like the bug I reported yesterday. It has been fixed with the latest update though.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #433 on: September 15, 2015, 08:59:38 pm »
Panning for SEGA PCM goes from 0 to F for both speakers!, use 080F and 08F0!

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #434 on: September 15, 2015, 09:48:12 pm »
Oh, my bad. Didn't catch that in the first post.