Chat

Author Topic: FM and DAC on channel 6 - at the same time (YM2612)  (Read 3940 times)

Offline mihaelkyeah

• Learn the best from all worlds
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
FM and DAC on channel 6 - at the same time (YM2612)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 11:04:40 PM »
Or maybe the sound driver that he used didn't have a release command. Or maybe blank instrument settings take up less CPU than release commands do?

Offline marcb0t

FM and DAC on channel 6 - at the same time (YM2612)
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 11:23:02 PM »
Or maybe the sound driver that he used didn't have a release command. Or maybe blank instrument settings take up less CPU than release commands do?
The first option sounds more likely. Instrument settings take about 128 Bytes of data. It may sound small, but when developing a game, it was important to take into consideration. I doubt a setting for the release rate is 128 Bytes.

I notice a lot of soundtracks make elaborate music with minimal amounts of instruments. For instance, on Phantasy Star IV, the Bio Lab you enter from "Birth Valley", that song used only 3 FM instruments. However, the song was very complex, and sounded pretty cool.

And PSIV was given a big cartridge size to begin with.

Then again, I could see him using the blank instrument as a space saving short cut if he had ONLY one instance of the instrument on the whole cartridge, and re-triggered it whenever he wanted to stop the sound.