Chat

Author Topic: FM synth Help.  (Read 271 times)

Offline MegaBytez

• Using Trackers since 2014
    • Soundcloud
FM synth Help.
« on: September 06, 2017, 04:26:49 AM »
I'm starting to get back in to music tracking and I'd like to figure out something I haven't yet.
I'd like to learn how to make FM synth Instruments in Deflemask.

I'm probably going in way over my head, but if you can help in anyway or show me somewhere to start, that would be appreciated. ;D

I also attached a "Not so good" attempt at made at making said instruments. ???
A certified Megabyte Gigabit Fox post.
Yup! I go by a different name now
I'm also a furry now too...
F@$#ing Furrys! We ruin everything!

Offline slider

• Hi
FM synth Help.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
My post will focus specifically on the YM2612.

My method of making FM patches usually relies on older video game music. I look for a program to isolate the channels of a song then to a certain sample whenever possible. I then use an audio program such as audacity to determine the length of the sample playing. I also use both audacity's spectrogram feature and a real-time analyzer to determine the peak frequency, the harmonics, the possible frequency shifts, and the decay of the sample.

And I tend not to use other people's FM patches. I almost always use the suggested uses as explained in the YM2612 manual. I typically use algorithms 0-3 as those ones expand harmonics across the entire spectrum better. (I used ALG 0 for bass and ALG 3 for strings on my Chrono Trigger cover) Other then that it's trial and error from there. I then tune the sound to the best of my ability before using FB.

Looking at your FM instruments, D2 is useless if S is 15 or if D is 0 and S is whatever. R values look aggressive (unless intentionally doing a dry mix I suppose). Finally, there is a nasty clip on pattern 08.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:30:09 PM by slider »

Offline RetrogamerFeminist

• I'm shitting a cow
    • Email
FM synth Help.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »
If you want to learn how to make FM intruments I hily recomand you to use GENS KMod wich alows you to rip ym instruments from real SEGA Genesis games ( you have to go to CPU>debug>genesis>ym2612 ).  It's fucking great if you need instruments. If some ROM can't open directly by using this emulator you must dezip it. Here is a list of SEGA Genesis games with awesome instruments:
- streets of rage 1 - 2
- golden axe 2 - 3
- sonic 1 - 3
- shinobi 2 - 3
- comix zone
- time trax ( never released )
- mega turican ( just the best sound of the console )
- Thunderforce 3 - 4
- Castlevania bloodlines
- rocket knight 1 - 2
- vapor trail
- alizia's dragoon
- pier solar

Offline marcb0t

FM synth Help.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:46:45 AM »
Here you go. I made some edits to your track.

1. I moved some of your chords and your bassline to the PSG channels. This gives you more room to do echo and reverb effects on your FM channels.
Plus, your chords sounded very close to higher pitched pulse waves, so it worked out perfectly!

2. So your melody has stereo, uses portamento slides, and more strategice use of vibrato. Melody takes 3 channels to produce that offset echo delay reverb effect. Much richer sound.

3. I used drum samples that sound more appropriate. Hi hats combined with Sample channel.

4. First track that is posted is just instrumental.

5. The "Mr. Roboto style" version is formant speech synthesis simulation that I experimented with using the Multiplier modulation in operator 1.
Basically, I made your instrument say words with a cool robotic voice. Though it's barely understandable, it gives the illusion of actual singing of words.

You can dissect and learn from these modifications.

You know, I did not have to change your instruments a whole lot. It's more in how you use them. FM instruments can morph as they go on without a stop. You can use that to your advantage as well.