Chat

Author Topic: Genesis--ripped DAC drumkits from games  (Read 30448 times)

cuttingagent

Genesis--ripped DAC drumkits from games
« on: September 15, 2012, 11:10:52 am »
This was originally to be a sharing thread, but now it's a questions thread!
EDIT: Now it's both!

So I was ripping some .wavs of DAC drumkits on the Genesis. I used GensKMod and isolated the DAC channel, then did a WAV Dump through the program. Then I chopped that up in Goldwave (my preferred audio editor) to get the individual drum hits. Then I saved them as PCM signed 16-bit, mono.

I'd like to know if there's a better way to do this, or different settings I should be using. (YM2612 High Quality, maybe??? I also recorded them in 22050hz, is that ideal?)
For one, the volume of these are too low when played in DefleMask. They play plenty loud enough in VGMMM though.

I've attached a .rar files of the rips for reference.

Any help I get figuring this out will be rewarded in more/better drumkit rips. =D

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:44:24 am by cuttingagent »

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Genesis--DAC Drumkit ripping/dumping
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
Your samples are recorder in 22050hz, so you should set that sample rate in the DefleMask samples window. I hear them as in Winamp @ that rate.

cuttingagent

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:54:51 am »
Is this the best way do do this though? I notice the drums that come with the program sound much louder---are they edited/volume boosted at all? Were they ripped the same way?

Why do they sound so much quieter in Deflemask than they do in other programs?

If anyone else has some tips for ripping DAC samples for use in DM, I'd much appreciate it.

Also you must stop catching me in the middle of editing my posts today!

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »
Yeah, they sound quieter because the DefleMask output is a little bit slower than some other players to avoid clamping. However, your samples are recorded at a low volume, with Audacity you could use "amplify" and the sample will be automatically amplified till the maximum volume possible without clamping.

cuttingagent

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:56:30 pm »
Okay, I had thought about doing that but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong to begin with. Should I then assume that the samples that came with the program have all been optimized?

And hey, it would be cool if you made a subsection of the forum for people to post instrument files(user-made or from games) and DAC samples. I for one would be happy to contribute to such a resource, and hopefully others would to, because they are too hard to find and it would be nice to have a big archive all in one place.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 01:20:58 pm »
You could done a thread in Show Off Your Music and I will sticky it!.

cuttingagent

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 08:52:49 am »
Added drum samples from Gynoug/Wings of Wor.

I will upload drums from more games with time, I have a lot of WAV dumps to chop up. Hopefully more people will help out and we can build a quality resource. =)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:20:23 am by cuttingagent »

cuttingagent

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:59 pm »
Here is a drumkit from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:40:13 am by cuttingagent »

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 11:50:09 pm »
:D awesome, could I include this inside DefleMask Package?

cuttingagent

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 06:46:13 am »
Well you could, of course, they are not my property as they are all ripped from Genesis games and as you can see, I am still trying to get a handle on what is the best way to record them.

If you do include them, a small note would be appreciated--something like "ripped by Cutting Agent: http://soundcloud.com/cuttingagent" somewhere.

In any case, I will have more soon.

Here are the drums for Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker. Read the info textfile if you'd like some insight into the confusion I'm having about recording these.
Furthermore, if the DAC channel 'is only 8bit' but the system itself outputs sound at 16bits, do I need to convert them to 8bit for them to play properly on the hardware, and will this cause further degradation to already grainy samples? Note, the emulator I'm ripping from plays and therefore dumps all sound at 16bits, so there's no way I can get it to output an 8bit signal to dump from--I would always have to convert them--so a sample would be in the ROM as 8bit, played at 16bit, and then converted to 8bit again--am I losing even more fidelity during this process?

I'm not expecting you to know the answer to this, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to keep the samples in their original form with so many variables floating around.

---going even further, now I notice that unsigned 8bit mono wavs do not even play in Deflemask! I can only write an 8bit wav as unsigned (in both Goldwave and Audacity) so I am perplexed. They do work in VGMMMM, and again as the DAC is only supposed to play 8bit samples, they should work in Deflemask too.

For now I will reupload the packs to contain both formats, I suppose.

---oh wait, WOW, ok, I see that in the manual now. But now I am very curious as to how it is possible for the samples to work in 16bit when everything I've read tells me the DAC is supposed to use 8bit samples and also, why then, does Defle not support 8bit samples when the machine does???

I guess I missed that part because it's not in the Genesis section of the manual, which I've read 30 times now. Up too late. Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:07:19 pm by cuttingagent »

cuttingagent

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:03:46 am »
Drumkits from Sonic 1, 2, and 3.

...I'm working on Contra: Hard Corps right now and it is just a BEAST. Sooooo many different drums. And then a few of them sound almost exactly like other ones, with only the very slightest differences.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:34:56 am by cuttingagent »

neologix

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 09:33:41 pm »
Eventually I'm going to write a DAC dumper tool like my VGM2PRE so that one wouldn't have to worry about trying to record from source or something.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:13:32 pm »
That will be amazing! :D But what is your plan vs strange sampling rates?

cuttingagent

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 02:17:54 am »
Alternatively, I've found that *sometimes* you can dump the entire ROM into an audio editor as raw data, and if you guess the correct sample rate, you will be able to find the samples, clean and in their pure form, tucked in between wall-to-wall white static and glitch noise. I can rarely get it to work though.

And yes, neologix, I will be incredibly happy when this comes out--and will have also wasted a lot of time chopping these up. =O

--Also, yes, ideally there would be some system in place to make the files' respective sample rates immediately obvious to the user =D

I'm so happy all this great stuff is going on!!! =D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:00:09 am by cuttingagent »

cuttingagent

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 05:44:41 am »
Ugh, seems no matter what I do I cannot get these samples to sound as good and loud in Deflemask as the two Sonic drums that come with the program. Is there some compression added to those as well? Even my own ripped and amplified copies dont sound as good as them. It might just be the sample rate problem or... I don't know, but I'm ready to give up on trying to rip them. Delek I would seriously reconsider including the ones I've ripped in the program, especially the Lawnmower Man samples, those ones seem to be the absolute worst... they were pretty crappy to begin with but still sound better in the game.