Chat

Author Topic: How do I rip Wavetables from PC engine CD games?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Michirin9801

How do I rip Wavetables from PC engine CD games?
« on: October 23, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
I rip my Wavetables from HuCard games using nezplug, so I'd expect it to be able to read the files and listen to the PSG music from CD games too, and allow me to rip its Wavetables as well, but I don't really know how to open PC engine CD games with it, if it's even possible, or if there's a work-around or some other way to rip PCE CD Wavetables...
What I ultimately want is to be able to listen to each channel of this song separately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg7gDl4Eab0
And rip its Wavetables and try to make something that sounds kinda like it...
Thanks in advance!

Offline mihaelkyeah

• Learn the best from all worlds
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »
I've been having similar problems with systems other than arcade systems and others including OPM or OPNx chips in them (a.k.a., the more VGM friendly systems).
As far as I'm concerned, the Game Boy, the PC Engine and the Nintendo Famicom/NES sound chips/chipsets are supported by the VGM format, so I guess there should be a tool to convert HES to VGM, and then be able to isolate channels on Winamp or XMplay - if they're wavetables, I suppose there wouldn't be much more to it than identifying a loop and saving it into a WAV file, or then copy the waveform by hand on DefleMask...

It may not be the best solution, but it's all I can think of, I hope it helps.

Offline Michirin9801

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
I've been having similar problems with systems other than arcade systems and others including OPM or OPNx chips in them (a.k.a., the more VGM friendly systems).
As far as I'm concerned, the Game Boy, the PC Engine and the Nintendo Famicom/NES sound chips/chipsets are supported by the VGM format, so I guess there should be a tool to convert HES to VGM, and then be able to isolate channels on Winamp or XMplay - if they're wavetables, I suppose there wouldn't be much more to it than identifying a loop and saving it into a WAV file, or then copy the waveform by hand on DefleMask...

You see, my problem is the lack of a .hes file, if there was one for that game I'd be able to open it with nezplug and do what I need to do, but there isn't, if I could extract the game's soundtrack to a .hes file then I wouldn't be having a problem...

Offline Radaron

• Meow
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 10:05:55 PM »

You see, my problem is the lack of a .hes file, if there was one for that game I'd be able to open it with nezplug and do what I need to do, but there isn't, if I could extract the game's soundtrack to a .hes file then I wouldn't be having a problem...
Go here http://hes.joshw.info/k/
Download "Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II (TCD)(1995-06-30)(Falcom).7z"
Ignore Mp3 files.

Offline Michirin9801

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 11:29:14 PM »

Go here http://hes.joshw.info/k/
Download "Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II (TCD)(1995-06-30)(Falcom).7z"
Ignore Mp3 files.
Thank you very much!!