Chat

Author Topic: I would like to see a sine wave harmonic wavetable editor for DefleMask  (Read 112 times)

Offline JXC

• Delek FTW
Have any of you played with an app called PPG Wavegenerator? It allows waveforms to be made with either in drawing mode for spectral mode. I thought drawing waveforms would be more convenient, but when I studied some additive synthesis, I played with the spectral editor of Wavegenerator and Virsyn's Addictive Pro. I find controlling sine wave harmonics more useful than drawing waveforms. In additive synthesis, any waveform can be made by stacking sinewaves at different amplitudes and frequencies. The only problem with the PC Engine's waveforms is that they are limited by a length 32 samples

Offline Demick12

• Sealed for freshness past the expiration date...
    • Email
I would like to see a sine wave harmonic wavetable editor for DefleMask
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:01:31 PM »
I only wish...   :)

There's a VSTi called Chip32. Coolest little thing ever for a simple 32-step waveform generator.
I also have a VSTi called Harmonaut. This one is little, but it's all harmonic. I love love LOVE that thing!  :D

Unfortunately for all of us, the designers of the HU chip for the PC Engine/TurboGrafX 16 went with the cheaper approach, and by cheaper I mean what was best for keeping costs low for the consumer. Fast Fourier Transformation, what spectral (harmonic) editing essentially is, would have driven the price of the PC Engine sky high AND probably would have been cumbersome for the system to handle mathematically. It's other alternative, 16 or 32 sine or triangle waves per channel, DEFINITELY would have been driven up costs, but man the thing would have been a BEAST!  :)

The bitchy part is that its cheaper cousin, the Walsh Functions Generator, although it is capable of generating virtually ANY waveform known to man, is cumbersome to tweak by ear. I wrote an experimental VSTi in Flow Stone recently using 64 Walsh waves per part and 4 parts (though one could half it to just two with 32 Walsh waves, but the resolution of the wave would be gnarly and aliased up the ying yang), and it's all about waves and volume balance between the waves, simple Additive Synthesis, just to create ONE wave. Technically, this would be cheaper on the consumer since you could store all the Walsh waves into a ROM somewhere and have the 2 or 4 parts of each instrument read them, and one could always swap out a channel of Walsh for a D/A channel, but creating pulse waves out of Walsh would be like reinventing the wheel.

All this said, I would like someday to see this very thing inside Deflemask, seeing as it would be the first tracker to take advantage of such technology.
I am not insain, I have just been evilly reprogrammed. -Cyber-Lip