Chat

Author Topic: Making FM drums?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline umbromaniii

• Elektron Digitone Master
    • umbromaniii music
    • Email
Making FM drums?
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:07:30 pm »
Hi guys

Looking for tips on making FM drums in deflemask. Specifically bass drum, snare drum, and hi hat.

Offline freezedream

• digital music artist
    • Bandcamp Music
    • Email
Making FM drums?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:03 pm »
Hi umbromaniii, well just think about the sound/envelope qualities of different percussion sounds. Percussive sounds usually use fairly short envelopes.

So for a kick drum, you could start with a clicky sinewave where one operator makes a short click and the other is close to pure sinewave. Try ALG3 with little feedback. Then use the pitch slide down command in the tracker to turn it into a kick drum sound.

For a snare you normally need both a body and noise component. Using ALG4, operator 1 could be used to make the noise by using high feedback, then use operator 2 to make the body of the snare. You can also use the pitch slide down tracker command, but slower than for the kick drum.

For hihats, they're mostly noise with perhaps a short, fast attack blip at the start with a lot of overtones, so FB up to max on operator 1. Try playing with the MULT to get the right sound with ALG0, 1 or 2.

Also try playing the instruments using different notes to get different effects. It's all up to experimentation and the sound you're going for really.

Offline umbromaniii

• Elektron Digitone Master
    • umbromaniii music
    • Email
Making FM drums?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:35:36 am »
Thanks

Offline nitrofurano

• Delek FTW
    • Email
Making FM drums?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:19:46 am »
would be great having DefleMask importing .vgm files...

Offline SeregaZ

• Delek FTW
Making FM drums?
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:55:42 am »
vgm? good idea... but it have some bpm problem, becouse vgm no have bpm. and no all vgm files can be supported, becouse vgm have a lot of chips, but deflemask is not. next item PSG import - it will be very dificult detect PSG "instruments" and even note start. if YM2612 have some "note start" like command, but PSG not realy have it... it have some volume, when that volume is less, than 15 - it means note is starts. same problem with dificult cases with YM2612 - for example Rock n Roll Racing songs have pitches per one note. it is a dificult to detect and even worse - to recreate same effects by deflemask effects. but ValleyBell somehow make it with his VGM2MIDI. then will comes two new problem - Total Level detection for instruments. how to know where is volume changing, where is real TL for instruments? next - vgm can have two variants of samples. and one of them, or both... not sure - no have frequency settings for sample. it need to collect all samples data and collect time, when this samples is plays and only then count some frequency - anyway it is not very accurate frequency.

so it have a lot of nuances :)

same case with my VGM2GEMS - it is still didnt finished. oh! it was a 2 years ago... from that moment i am even didnt touch that project :)))

Jungle Strike melody

Battletoads melody

Offline SeregaZ

• Delek FTW
Making FM drums?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 10:58:25 am »
probably for a start - it can be some VGM instruments&samples unpacker for future using in deflemask. it is not very dificult i think.

Offline Demick12

• Enemy Of The Warring States
    • Email
Making FM drums?
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 12:48:27 pm »
For what I do with my FM drums (when I do use them):

Snare - I would normally start off with Algorithm 5 because it acts as a dual instrument. One could then make the noise sound with the Feedback part for the vibrating spring mechanism under the snare, then I would make the drum overtones. It's really a game of mimicking by ear the sound of the snare drum.

Kick Drum - Algorithm 1 is the best for that meaty distortion. Make sure either OP 1 or OP 2 have the base harmonic. It is then a game of playing around with the envelopes to get something that can pop through the track without totally destroying it.

Hihats - Algorithm 5 works best for these. Noise for one half, and overtones for the other half.

If you like, you can even add 2xx effects for a down-sweep of the pitch, like in the example track I have attached.

Happy trackin', bud! ^_____^
Brains:
MAX 330 MEGA
PRO GEAR SPEC

Body:
STRETCH ARMSTRONG