Chat

Author Topic: Next System to be added  (Read 27222 times)

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Next System to be added
« on: May 26, 2015, 03:13:06 PM »
Explain briefly your decision...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:11:35 PM by Delek »

Offline KillaMaaki

Next System to be added
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 03:31:15 PM »
I think the SNES format would be very interesting to work with. It would likely be very helpful for SNES homebrew developers as well.

Offline Carbonthief

Next System to be added
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:34:08 PM »
Definitely SNES for me.  It's a sound I grew up with.  I know it's just samples, but it still had a special sound of its own.  I've been running a tool that converts .smc to .it and then opening the .it in Renoise to save the .it as an .xrni, and then using those to make music, but the dream would be having a tracker that could just import the instruments in the correct format and setup the song limitations automatically.

I've been watching this:
http://snestracker.club/
But I'm going to be honest, I don't feel like that project will ever reach any kind of completion.

There was another SNES tracker out there that could import instruments in their native format, but it was bugged into uselessness.

I would be incredibly excited to see this come to Deflemask.  I love the work you have done already on it.  It's a beautiful thing, a true work of art.

Offline Wonderpanda

• Email
Next System to be added
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:42:04 PM »
I'd really love YM2151 + 4 PCM Channels.

It's the classic arcade configuration from the late 80's and 90's arcade games and it's used in countless games.
I think it's the natural evolution from the actual Genesis YM2612 configuration (the FM registers are the same) and it's much more versatile/modern sounding than the standard Genesis configuration

Actually there are no comfortable ways to do YM2151 music (using MML or the obscure iYM2151 for the iPad) and it's a shame.

I will be surely using YM2151+4 PCM Channels emulation instead of the Genesis one for my game :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:47:35 PM by Wonderpanda »

darkhog

Next System to be added
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
OPL3 definitely. I was on the tie with SNES, but there is actual SNES tracker out there that looks good to use: https://code.google.com/p/snesgss/

Meanwhile, offers for OPL3/Adlib music making are laughable and Adlib Tracker's 2 (which to most people using modern trackers like Deflemask or Modplug is not up to scruff) community is very toxic. So we either need new OPL3 tracker for Windows that works good or support from existing tracker like Deflemask.

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
Next System to be added
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
I was going to say CPS-1 (YM2151+ 4 PCM channels) and then I read this...

I'd really love YM2151 + 4 PCM Channels.

It's the classic arcade configuration from the late 80's and 90's arcade games and it's used in countless games.
I think it's the natural evolution from the actual Genesis YM2612 configuration (the FM registers are the same) and it's much more versatile/modern sounding than the standard Genesis configuration

Actually there are no comfortable ways to do YM2151 music (using MML or the obscure iYM2151 for the iPad) and it's a shame.

I will be surely using YM2151+4 PCM Channels emulation instead of the Genesis one for my game :D

This x100! :D

Offline Heavy Viper

Next System to be added
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »
+1 for the OPL3. Looking at the specs, it's a monster, and I'm a sucker for FM.

Runner-up choice for me goes to the YM2151, due to its arcade heritage (as mentioned above).

Offline jrlepage

Next System to be added
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
I'm kind of on the fence here between SNES and OPL3, but considering there are semi-accessible ways of writing OPL3 music (FM Kingtracker, AdlibTracker II, etc.) and absolutely no easy way to produce SNES music, I ended up casting my vote for the NES's big brother.

Offline DevEd

• Not to be confused with Delek
Next System to be added
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 04:36:15 PM »
I'd say SNES. We have yet to see an actual SNES tracker which is in a usable state. I don't see any reason why DefleMask can't be the first.

Offline cTrix

• ctrix.net
Next System to be added
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 04:40:39 PM »
Defs OPL3.  Something that can really unleash those old Adlib cards!!

SNES wise my crew have got something very close to release.  It's been a whole crazy kettle of fish to get working.... trust me ;-)   It also would require a more complex / new toolset for Deflemask... for instance a wave editor - because it's very specific to where loop points can and can't exist and there's lots of clicks that happen unless you code predictive zero crossing during the BRR encoding side.  And the reverb alg is fucking hard to emulate and requires a lot of pushing and pulling things around in specific APU RAM at the right times and  bbballahhhhhhh..... yeah all that shit.  Have been dealing with it for last 6 months with ferris^elix!  (he coded a compiler from scratch based from the original op codes of the chipset... pretty hardcore)

We're about 3 - 4 months away from having our tool ready I reakon :-)  I mean, I'm using it already at shows... it just needs the reverb sorting out.  And the live mode sequencer has been tricky (given we had to code our own compression routines that run on the APU to fit anything in RAM... and run fast enough too.... it means a live mode is required to jmp to varying points in RAM, rather than evenly spaced pattern data).  Blllleheheheh.  Yeah.  F*cking SNES!  We will make it work; just a lot of tweaking to make it viable with so little resources in the APU.

Meanwhile... we got demos happenin' if you want to hear our tool being maxxed out ;-)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di_MnKNDfm0  

(edited to fix 'tube link)  ... also a bit of info here http://ctrix.net/?p=60
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:46:25 PM by cTrix »

otter

Next System to be added
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 05:04:59 PM »
Because Starfox. Corneria theme. 'Nuff said.

Liz

Next System to be added
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »
Probably a lame vote, but I am more familiar with the snes than the other options.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:20:51 PM by Liz »

spacefolder

Next System to be added
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »
Hope not to be off topic, but instead of another system, I would definitely vote for multiple systems at once! That would be really cool IMO. Nes + gameboy, or even 2 simultaneous gameboys, wow!
My 2 cents.

Cheers!
spacefolder

Chrono256

Next System to be added
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 08:27:03 PM »
YM2151, because it's like the best FM chip EVER.
From Marble Madness to Battle Garegga. Really need any other reason? :D

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
Next System to be added
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »
I'm going for OPL3 because I have VSTs in FL Studio that replicate the sounds of the SNES, and by extension, the Neo Geo and Amiga. YM2151 sounds cool, but I'm a bit more patient with making multiple songs in DefleMask to emulate it anyway, and I'm not too familiar with how POKEY works.
The main reason I want to have it available is so I can replicate the Sound Orchestra on PC98, which is basically a combination of the YM2203 and the YM3812.
Music truly is without age.