Chat

Author Topic: Requests! (Don't ask for new systems, that will be decided by a poll)  (Read 144438 times)

Offline Demick12

• Sealed for freshness past the expiration date...
    • Email
Requests!
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 06:42:30 PM »
I know this topic is a geriatric one (old), but what about adding PCM ability to the PC-Engine? I know it's software, but any of the channels are capable of it anyway. Blazing Lazers used this very technique for in-game sound. From what I remember, the sampling was very Low Fidelity but still good.
I am not insain, I have just been evilly reprogrammed. -Cyber-Lip

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Requests!
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »
Samples on the PC-Engine will be added on DefleMask 8. Also with support for SID and YM2413. :)

Offline Demick12

• Sealed for freshness past the expiration date...
    • Email
Requests!
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 03:16:42 AM »
SID should be very interesting. Looking forward to it!
I am not insain, I have just been evilly reprogrammed. -Cyber-Lip

Offline jrlepage

Requests!
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08:28 AM »
I just had an interesting idea for you Delek: how about making the scroll wheel environmentally sensitive? Let me explain. Right now, the scroll wheel only affects the tracker area (or the instrument window if it is active). But, I find it unsatisfactory to have to scroll through the pattern matrix using the scolling bar (the lack of arrows makes this even more annoying for me). It would be nice to at least have the option to make it so that the mouse wheel will scroll whatever is underneath the cursor (be it the tracker window, instrument window, pattern matrix, arp macro, anything that can be scrolled essentially). I'm not certain how much coding that involves, but it would definitely help the workflow significantly.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Requests!
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 02:30:32 AM »
Yeah, I will add that, because right now I only coded one objective per screen, but the objective can be dynamic checking for the mouse position. I will add this in the next update.

Offline jrlepage

Requests!
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 03:36:51 AM »
Here's my wishlist as of now!

~Ctrl+Left/Right AND/OR Alt+Left/Right to quickly navigate between channels. Possibly the Ctrl shortcut for jumping to note input, and the Alt to jump to the same position as the current one (i.e. if the cursor is on the volume column, Alt+Right jumps to the next channel's volume column, while Ctrl+Right jumps to the next channel's note column).
~Expand maximum pattern size from 128 to 256.
~An option to skip to the effect value column instead of the next row when entering an effect. Then after entering the effect the cursor could drop to the next row, and back in the effect column.
~Better pitch tables. Some systems (Turbografx 16 and GameBoy in particular) are noticeably out of tune when comparing lower octaves to higher ones. I realise that resolution becomes smaller in the upper range but I'm sure something could be done about it still. I've got perfect pitch, so I can probably help you with that somehow.
~Scrolling arrows/scrolling bar for the instrument window, plus the ability to scroll that window with the arrows. It wasn't until I had a go at Deflemask on my laptop that I realised you can't scroll without a scroll wheel!
~Localised Shrink+Expand. As of now, those buttons affect the entire module; a way to shrink or expand select portions of a module (e.g. selection) would be useful.
~Not sure if this is a bug or not, but metadata is lost in NSF export (the output NSF has blank info fields). VGM export is fine though.
~HES export for Turbografx 16!
~An effect to offset the starting position of a PCM sample (akin to Yxx in Famitracker). I'm not sure this can be done, but I'm throwing the idea out there anyway.
~VGM Playback.
~Possibly even VGM import, ŕ la NSFImport. It would be IMMENSELY useful to be able to inspect Genesis tunes in particular. It would definitely get me into Genesis composing anyway! I realise this is potentially outside the scope of this project, but again, just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. :)
~Choice between 7-bit PCM and 1-bit DPCM for NES/Famicom.
~Ability to jump to the last row by pressing the End key.
~Ability to jump down a customisable amount of rows by using the Page Up/Page Down keys. The amount could be set using a similar interface to octave, speed, rows etc.
~Ability to select areas using the above shortcuts (plus the Home key).
~Ability to preview row by pressing Ctrl+Enter.

System & sound chips wishlist!
~SID support for Commodore 64 (I know it's planned an on the way, but I couldn't resist :D)
~SPC support for SNES/Super Famicom
~AY-3-8910 support for ZX Spectrum
~OPLL support for SMS
~YM2151 support for.. whatever used that :p
~POKEY support for Atari 8-bit systems
~Expansion chip support for Famicom (maybe?)

Well, that's a mouthful! I realise there's no way you'll do all of that in the short term.. This is just to give you ideas to cherry-pick from when you work on future updates of Deflemask. If you can be bothered, do let me know what's feasible and what's fantasy, because I'd like to know! :D

cuttingagent

Requests!
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 04:53:23 AM »
Wow, here is a long list of requests! My apologies if something I said doesn't make sense, I can clarify if needed.

keyboard buttons to scroll through matrix patterns instead on having to navigate back and forth between them in the matrix

global volume control

some way to label patterns in matrix---either a text field to the left of patterns, or a way to colour-code groups of

patterns, or a way to insert dividers (empty space) in-between patterns

a way to select groups of patterns in matrix and play them looped, or copy those grouped patterns into new

patterns, or shift them up and down within the pattern matrix

a way to copy a pattern to a new pattern in the matrix-the same as the current copy function, but would assign new

pattern values so the patterns can be changed without affecting the original patterns.
            ====and then a way to do this with selcted groups of patterns

a keyboard shortut for Play Ptn

a way to select groups of patterns in matrix and play them looped, or, again, copy those grouped patterns into new

save file dialog enables text entry field instead of having to click it manually

save file automatically picks the current file even if it hasn't been saved since it's been loaded

a quicksave button

a clipping detector on the waveform view---and with that enabled, it wouldn't be necessary to have the volume play so

low, which is somewhat of a burden

a default playback rate for DAC samples, which could be specified in config file

some info on using the PSG channels in the manual

something that tells you what BPM your song is playing at

a song clock

a wiki!

Thank you for DefleMask!

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Requests!
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 12:20:10 AM »
WOW THANKS A LOT FOR THE FEEDBACK.

~Ctrl+Left/Right AND/OR Alt+Left/Right to quickly navigate between channels. Possibly the Ctrl shortcut for jumping to note input, and the Alt to jump to the same position as the current one (i.e. if the cursor is on the volume column, Alt+Right jumps to the next channel's volume column, while Ctrl+Right jumps to the next channel's note column).
DONE!.
~Expand maximum pattern size from 128 to 256.
I tried to do this some months ago, but believe me, the 128 value is deep-coded into the DefleMask core, changing it to 256 give me lot of headaches, so I will stay with 128 max for now.
~An option to skip to the effect value column instead of the next row when entering an effect. Then after entering the effect the cursor could drop to the next row, and back in the effect column.
Wow, nice!. Added to TODO LIST.
~Better pitch tables. Some systems (Turbografx 16 and GameBoy in particular) are noticeably out of tune when comparing lower octaves to higher ones. I realise that resolution becomes smaller in the upper range but I'm sure something could be done about it still. I've got perfect pitch, so I can probably help you with that somehow.
The pitch are calculated in real time using:
freq=base_freq * pow(2.0, (double)(note+octave*12) / 12.0)

And later converting that standard freq to the system, for example, GameBoy:
gameboy_freq=(unsigned int)(((2048 * 32) - ((double)(double)gameboy_clock / (double)((note_freq(note,octave)+(fine_tune-0x80)))) ) / 32)

I don't get where could be the issue, seems that everything is fine.
~Scrolling arrows/scrolling bar for the instrument window, plus the ability to scroll that window with the arrows. It wasn't until I had a go at Deflemask on my laptop that I realised you can't scroll without a scroll wheel!
Wow, nice!.
~Localised Shrink+Expand. As of now, those buttons affect the entire module; a way to shrink or expand select portions of a module (e.g. selection) would be useful.
Oh mate!, I thought that I've never had to tell you this but... RTFM!. :P

MANUAL:
Custom Selection   Shift+Arrow Keys / Click+Drag
Custom Selection Expand    Ctrl+E
Custom Selection Shrink   Ctrl+S

You could modify the keys too under options.
~Not sure if this is a bug or not, but metadata is lost in NSF export (the output NSF has blank info fields). VGM export is fine though.
DONE!.
Yeah, but the lack of a flashcart for TG16 does not inspire me. xD
~An effect to offset the starting position of a PCM sample (akin to Yxx in Famitracker). I'm not sure this can be done, but I'm throwing the idea out there anyway.
This will break lot of things with VGM export and hardware players, so, no... for now.
~VGM Playback.
I will be outside the DefleMask scope, DefleMask is a tracker only for now, it can generate VGM but not play them (that will require lot of code and even for unsupported systems).
~Possibly even VGM import, ŕ la NSFImport. It would be IMMENSELY useful to be able to inspect Genesis tunes in particular. It would definitely get me into Genesis composing anyway! I realise this is potentially outside the scope of this project, but again, just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. :)
It is outside, and will require LOT and I MEAN LOTTT of code hours. Maybe another dude can just make an external vgm2dmf converter, I will be busy with DefleMask itself to create it by myself. :P
Converting WAVs to DPCM is a pain in the eye (?), so not for now... Also, 7bitPCM ARE AWESOME!, and they run on the actual HW!.
~Ability to jump to the last row by pressing the End key.
Wow, why I not added this when I added the func of HOME key?. ADDED TO TODO.
~Ability to jump down a customisable amount of rows by using the Page Up/Page Down keys. The amount could be set using a similar interface to octave, speed, rows etc.
Like the Step but for movement?.
I will consider this, I have to analyze how much work this needs.
System & sound chips wishlist!
~SID support for Commodore 64 (I know it's planned an on the way, but I couldn't resist :D)
~SPC support for SNES/Super Famicom
~AY-3-8910 support for ZX Spectrum
~OPLL support for SMS
~YM2151 support for.. whatever used that :p
~POKEY support for Atari 8-bit systems
~Expansion chip support for Famicom (maybe?)
That's my wishlist for DefleMask too!, without the SNES however. :P

Well, that's a mouthful! I realise there's no way you'll do all of that in the short term.. This is just to give you ideas to cherry-pick from when you work on future updates of Deflemask. If you can be bothered, do let me know what's feasible and what's fantasy, because I'd like to know! :D
Thanks a lot for your help mate!, and I will release an update very very soon. What is actually stopping me is the fact that my Linux VM is corrupted. :(

keyboard buttons to scroll through matrix patterns instead on having to navigate back and forth between them in the matrix
I will add a way for scrolling the pattern matrix easily in next version. I don't know if it will include the keyboard however, maybe the mouse wheel or new GUI buttons.
global volume control
For the playback only or ACTUALLY a global volume control for the chips?.
some way to label patterns in matrix---either a text field to the left of patterns, or a way to colour-code groups of
Outside of the tracker standards, SunVox did something with this adding drawing, but I don't like it too much. :P
a way to select groups of patterns in matrix and play them looped, or copy those grouped patterns into new
Part of this can be done using the buttons in the right of the Pattern Matrix!. Not grouping them however, but maybe I will add something like that.
a way to copy a pattern to a new pattern in the matrix-the same as the current copy function, but would assign new
pattern values so the patterns can be changed without affecting the original patterns.
It is already there!, is the button with double down arrows!. But I just realized that I don't include it in the Controls part of the Manual. Added to manual.
a keyboard shortut for Play Ptn
Added to TODO.
a clipping detector on the waveform view---and with that enabled, it wouldn't be necessary to have the volume play so low, which is somewhat of a burden
ADDED TO TODO.
a default playback rate for DAC samples, which could be specified in config file
ADDED TO TODO.
Like what?. It is explained that you can use the envelopes and all of that stuff. What more?.
something that tells you what BPM your song is playing at
This will be tricky!.
a song clock
ADDED TO TODO!.
a wiki!
All of you are free to start a DefleMask Wiki, I'm forced to include "something" with DefleMask, so I will continue with the HTML based Manual file. But it would be awesome to have a Wiki. DefleMask signal calling to: cuttingagent, jrlepage, demick12, kinkinkijkin and freezedream!. :P

In Battle Of The Bits there is a very useful list of the effects.

And again, thanks for the feedback guys, you're awesome.

cuttingagent

Requests!
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »

global volume control
For the playback only or ACTUALLY a global volume control for the chips?.

For the both, yes. So if I import to VGM and it's too loud I can only have to turn down the global volume instead of every single thing. VGMMM has this but again, I like DefleMask much more and VGMMM is so longer supported (or even downloadable, as of last week).

Outside of the tracker standards, SunVox did something with this adding drawing, but I don't like it too much. :P

Ah, that's unfortunate. Looking at a huge column of just numbers, it's hard to see what's what. I realize that's an issue inherent in trackers, but I think perhaps being able to insert just a single row of blank space between patterns wouldn't be terrible.

Part of this can be done using the buttons in the right of the Pattern Matrix!. Not grouping them however, but maybe I will add something like that.

Grouping is my main concern. Otherwise I have to move large numbers of patterns around one by one which leaves a lot of room for error and takes a lot more time.

It is already there!, is the button with double down arrows!. But I just realized that I don't include it in the Controls part of the Manual. Added to manual.

But this only copies a duplicate of that pattern with the same pattern values(the numbers in the matrix, not the pattern area, I don't know what else to call them), so changing the new one will change the old ones. What I mean is that, you could copy a pattern and it would have all the same information, but I could then change the notes and it wouldn't affect the notes in the original pattern. Otherwise I have to select all the notes in the pattern manually, make an empty pattern, and paste the notes in, for every pattern I need to do this with, which is... a ton of them!

Like what?. It is explained that you can use the envelopes and all of that stuff. What more?.

I don't know. It seems either I'm missing something or the PSG is just very limited. I understand that adding an entire explanation of them to the manual would be a lot of work so perhaps I'll just wait til hopefully more information about it surfaces on the internet at large.

a wiki!
All of you are free to start a DefleMask Wiki, I'm forced to include "something" with DefleMask, so I will continue with the HTML based Manual file. But it would be awesome to have a Wiki. DefleMask signal calling to: cuttingagent, jrlepage, demick12, kinkinkijkin and freezedream!. :P

I'd like to help but my knowledge on the program is limited to what's in the manual and what little I can find elsewhere online, which includes some limited info on the FM chip but I haven't found anything on the PSG that really helps me know the full capabilities of it. Still, I think one can be set up on Wikia and I'll gladly help out with what little I can. Maybe after more time with this I can contribute more. As it is I'm just now learning trackers in general (I've been using FLStudio for 12 years) AND the inner workings of FM synthesis, so I'm a little overwhelmed!

Haha, I have even more requests but I hesitate to post so many at once. Maybe I'll sit on them for awhile. =D
But it would be nice to have complete freedom with key remapping.

Thanks again for DefleMask! I'm very excited to have found it. I've always been a fan of listening to console chip music but it's only the Genesis/Megadrive that I've ever wanted to make it for. This is a dream come true, as silly as that sounds. =)

Attached is a preview of the skin I'm working on. Will post soon.

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Requests!
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »
I understand now the copy patterns with different numbers request. It could be done by using the INS button of the pattern matrix and after paste them all of your desired data there. However I will include a button to do this next.

Awesome skin btw, post it when it is done abd I will include it with DefleMask.

Offline jrlepage

Requests!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »
Wow, nice!. Added to TODO LIST.
I see you've implemented that in the latest build, but I think it'd be wiser to leave it like it was and just make it an option in the INI file instead. That's what I had in mind. :)

The pitch are calculated in real time using:
freq=base_freq * pow(2.0, (double)(note+octave*12) / 12.0)

And later converting that standard freq to the system, for example, GameBoy:
gameboy_freq=(unsigned int)(((2048 * 32) - ((double)(double)gameboy_clock / (double)((note_freq(note,octave)+(fine_tune-0x80)))) ) / 32)

I don't get where could be the issue, seems that everything is fine.
It definitely annoys me, but I can understand that it might not be an issue for everyone. Do you think it's possible for you to provide me a chart like one of these, but without the register values (in other words, the frequency for each semitone in the system, then expected frequency and finally the difference between them)? It would help me pinpoint the exact frequencies where I think the tuning is problematic.

Oh mate!, I thought that I've never had to tell you this but... RTFM!. :P

MANUAL:
Custom Selection   Shift+Arrow Keys / Click+Drag
Custom Selection Expand    Ctrl+E
Custom Selection Shrink   Ctrl+S

You could modify the keys too under options.
Yeah I guess I should've done my homework there, my bad. I assumed because I saw the two buttons there that they were the only option for shrinking & expanding!

Yeah, but the lack of a flashcart for TG16 does not inspire me. xD
It'd still be a plus, and in keeping with the consistent progress so far which has been to support each system's original export format in addition to VGM (where applicable).

This will break lot of things with VGM export and hardware players, so, no... for now.
Yeah ok, it's not something I desperately want either, but I thought I'd mention it.

~VGM Playback.
I will be outside the DefleMask scope, DefleMask is a tracker only for now, it can generate VGM but not play them (that will require lot of code and even for unsupported systems).
Again, this in my opinion would be a nice addition because for one, you have MMF playback implemented so there's precedence; and for two, very few players support 1.60+ VGM, and even among those that do, not all support Turbografx 16, GameBoy or NES VGM (not even VGMPlay fully supports it, still lacking PCM!).

It is outside, and will require LOT and I MEAN LOTTT of code hours. Maybe another dude can just make an external vgm2dmf converter, I will be busy with DefleMask itself to create it by myself. :P
VGM2DMF sounds like an idea yeah. The reason I brought it up is because MOD2PSG2 can already do it, so in a way it's already possible to inspect VGM files but being able to do it in Deflemask (not to mention copy material from one module onto another) would, in theory, be super useful. If it's not a priority for you though, I understand.

Converting WAVs to DPCM is a pain in the eye (?), so not for now... Also, 7bitPCM ARE AWESOME!, and they run on the actual HW!.
Yeah, I'm not really bothered by whether PCM works on hardware or not (I know it does, and I quite literally have all the tools needed to verify this, but that's not my motive for requesting DPCM). Yes, PCM is a cool gimmick and everything, but there are people who would rather have the choice. You don't have to support Wave->DPCM within the tracker just yet if that's what's holding you back. People can always use RJDMC or Famitracker for that in the meantime, or rip them from other NSFs, or indeed draw their own (besides, there are already massive amounts of DMC files out there, so choice isn't lacking there). I see your stance on the matter ("7bitPCM ARE AWESOME!", but think of the users! :p
Also, many BotB OHCs prohibit PCM usage (while still allowing DPCM), which could potentially be a bother for Deflemask fanatics.

Like the Step but for movement?.
Sort of, but a value separate from step like Famitracker would work better I think. For example, let's suppose you have your step defined as 2, because that's an 8th note in your track. You might want the ability to jump 8 or 16 rows with one button to navigate through beats more quickly. I do it a lot when I need to copy/paste a bassline (or a beat, or anything else) that repeats itself more than one time in a pattern. My usual routine in Famitracker in this case would be lay down a few bassline notes spread across 16 rows, copy those 16 rows, PgDown Ctrl+V PgDown Ctrl+V PgDown Ctrl+V to repeat 4 times in the same pattern (when I'm using 16 rows for PgUp/Down).

I will consider this, I have to analyze how much work this needs.
Shouldn't be too hard I don't think (unless your code is super complicated :p). Pretty much any tracker I can think of has a similar feature (Ctrl+Enter in Famitracker; Space in AdlibTracker; Enter in VortexTrackerII, VGMMM & TFMMaker etc.). Actually in the latter, if you keep Enter pressed, it activates playback (at the correct speed defined in the module, NOT at the speed of key repeat), and if you release it it stops it. Enter in Deflemask is defined as play, but Ctrl+Enter could do something like this instead?

That's my wishlist for DefleMask too!, without the SNES however. :P
Okay, good to know. I'm really curious to see how you're going to implement SID though! Is there going to be like separate "instruments" for waveform, filter, ring modulation etc.?

Offline Radaron

• Meow
Requests!
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 01:39:14 PM »
Hello! Great tracker! But Is there any ways to import patterns? like  *.mid or even maybe *.xm *.mod files? If not, I hope it will be added in future versions :)

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Requests!
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »
.mid not in short time, but .xm and .mod could be added easily. Btw, welcome!.

Jochmen

Requests!
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »
.mid not in short time, but .xm and .mod could be added easily. Btw, welcome!.

And what about .vgm and .vgz?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:32:27 PM by Jochmen »

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Requests!
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »
VGM import was already discussed, the VGM data is a bunch of register writes. It will be a pain to done an importer, maybe some awesome dude could done a VGM2DMF tool someday.