Chat

Author Topic: Use ZIP instead of RAR for Windows downloads?  (Read 365 times)

Offline Bruce A. Dyson

• A fan of sound hardware
    • Email
Use ZIP instead of RAR for Windows downloads?
« on: July 26, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »
.ZIP is a compressed folder type that has been used more often in Windows than any other compressed folder format. I'm not used to GZIP, RAR, 7Z, or any other type.

Offline Yung Gotenks

• Delek FTW
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
.ZIP is a compressed folder type that has been used more often in Windows than any other compressed folder format. I'm not used to GZIP, RAR, 7Z, or any other type.
I'm %90 sure that .RAR does the same thing as .ZIP except there's a little more to it I guess. And I think 7Zip can open RAR files too.

JetStar1997

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:24:09 PM »
I think 7Zip can open RAR files too.

7-Zip can open a bunch of compressed file formats, including .rar, .tar.gz, and even compressed video game music files such as .vgz.

Offline Speedy

• Tan tan ta ta ta tan
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
It shouldn't matter what someone uses. Just get 7-zip, it takes literally all of 5 minutes to download and install and can decompress pretty much every format out there, sometimes better than Windows can with its own ZIP format.

Offline RazerBlue6

• TurboGrafx16 supremacist
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:10:47 AM »
Just get 7-zip, it takes literally all of 5 minutes to download and install and can decompress pretty much every format out there, sometimes better than Windows can with its own ZIP format.

7zip best zip
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:47:26 AM by RazerBlue6 »

Offline Therektafire

• Delek FTW
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:44:22 AM »
I have Rar on my phone because I like the nice simple interface (the only thing that is a little weird is creating new folders, you have to hold down on an already existing folder and then hit "new folder" which seems a bit counterintuitive since you would probably think at first glance that it would create the new folder in the folder you held down on but nope it makes it in the current directory)