Chat

Author Topic: We NEED to be able to export songs as an Smps bin!  (Read 147 times)

Offline EnderDude

• Delek FTW
We NEED to be able to export songs as an Smps bin!
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »
 If you want to see the smps format, here it is: http://segaretro.org/SMPS . This is really an opportunity to extend the use on sega genesis hacks! (mostly sonic hacks) It would benefit the whole sonic hacking community if it happens.  Does anybody else agree with me? (btw I'm making a sonic hack right now :P )

Offline Demick12

• Sealed for freshness past the expiration date...
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:10:17 PM »
As someone who can write Sonic-esque toons, it would be amazing to see my work put into a hack as well. SMPS export would be an absolute "game-changer".  :D

However, in order to use certain music, the musician has to keep in mind which SMPS format to use, like Sonic 1 (which uses 3 samples), Sonic 2 (which uses 5 or 6 - forgot), or Sonic 3/Knux (which uses a whole bunch of samples, but has to have the same list for FM instruments all across the board - i.e. EVERY song made for S3/K HAS to use the same instrument master list). That shouldn't be too hard if one understands these limitations, though.

All that said, I am all for it!  8)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 01:14:11 PM by Demick12 »
I am not insain, I have just been evilly reprogrammed. -Cyber-Lip

Offline ramen_oranges

• (haha haha yeah)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:05:33 AM »
SMPS export would be a pretty nice option for YM2612 stuff, but keep in mind that some effects may be lost in conversion. Additionally, I think it would be nice if the DAC/sample mappings were manually set by the user. Perhaps an export option that asks you which SMPS sample ID, and which PSG instruments you want to associate your own samples/SN instruments with; since not everyone sticks with the sonic titles' default sample order. Although I really doubt this would be added as a feature, since it's unfortunately very niche.