Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Delek Café / Re: Post your desktop!
« Last post by Genatari on September 22, 2017, 10:53:41 PM »
Time to make everyone throw up. :P
(A clean desktop? What's that?)
General / Re: SEGE Genesis sample limit ?
« Last post by RetrogamerFeminist on September 22, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »
Thanks, but if I understand, the samples is loaded on the RAM just while playing it then it's deloaded ? But why on SNED are the samples compressed tout size on 64kb ?
Show Off Your Work / Re: Video game music cover thread
« Last post by Michirin9801 on September 22, 2017, 03:49:07 AM »
I've covered this beautiful song from Ys 1 which unfortunately went unused until the later remakes...
I hope you like it ^^
This is my first time doing a cover in Deflemask Tracker (Sorry me but I don't know how to embed a Youtube video :c I'm pretty new here, would someone help me how to get started at this forum?)   https://youtu.be/Np8-vSqLEe8

I would recommend using punchier drums; the ones from the game are pretty crap. Rest of this sounds good though.

I will try to use better drums the next time, the problem is I don't know what song I might cover, but I'm sure it'd be another SNES game. Ah yeah, Game's drums are not the best, just wanted to do something similar to the SNES :c
This is my first time doing a cover in Deflemask Tracker (Sorry me but I don't know how to embed a Youtube video :c I'm pretty new here, would someone help me how to get started at this forum?)   https://youtu.be/Np8-vSqLEe8

I would recommend using punchier drums; the ones from the game are pretty crap. Rest of this sounds good though.
General / Re: Requests! (Don't ask for new systems, that will be decided by a poll)
« Last post by mihaelkyeah on September 20, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »
I think it would be kind of cool to have a comment track running along the right side, kind of like how programmers put comments into their code. That would make navigating through a track way easier, I think, especially when the songs get long.
Or some way to take notes on the song would be nice.
This has been requested before with a picture mockup, and again I think it would be very nice to have it.

-------------

Also, 4-bit sample playback for Sega Genesis? Some samples might not sound that much worse when converted to 4-bit and it could save memory.
« Last post by Bruce A. Dyson on September 20, 2017, 12:25:40 AM »
I don't know if this suites me to screenshot my desktop and share it to this forum but idc
General / Re: SEGE Genesis sample limit ?
« Last post by marcb0t on September 19, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »
Sega Genesis streams samples through the DAC on the ym2612 chip. It can stream samples up to a quality of 8-bit/32Khz (possibly higher).

Actually, it can't go to 32kHz on hardware. You will start missing writes to the DAC at half of the sample rate (~26kHz) that the YM2612 has (~53kHz) when it goes through the main DAC that makes the output analog. DefleMask and emulation seems to play it just 32kHz fine but on hardware it starts to be very noticeable. It is recommended that if you want max performance from the DAC that you should use 8-bit 26kHz samples.
Well, Ozaleto, thank you for the heads up. I personally did not realize that 32kHz would start missing writes that would cause a noticeable effect on hardware. I remember hearing something like that from Tiido, but did not understand how that sounds in practice.

Yeah, hardware is always the "gold standard" of chiptune playback. So frankly, I might want to downscale all my sampling to at most 22kHz.

For making music for the Echo sound driver, it's best to pre-scale your samples down to 10,650Hz, which seems to be a weird sample rate. But it just works out better since Echo automatically converts samples to that anyway.

Obviously, for best sound in a Deflemask module, import every sample as a 16-bit mono sample. Deflemask automatically converts it to 8-bit playback, and you can raise the AMP of each sample without the nasty clicking and clipping.

When designing for Echo sound driver, you WILL need to downconvert to 8-bit, actually. Really just depends on what you're going for.
« Last post by JetStar1997 on September 19, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »
Teehee  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10