Chat

Author Topic: Huzak - A DMF-based sound driver for PC Engine homebrew.  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Michirin9801

Huzak - A DMF-based sound driver for PC Engine homebrew.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »
Yea, that's about the ONLY effect I've been able to get out of experimenting with the LFO feature is some vibrato... but I could always just use, you know... the actual vibrato effect haha.
And that's exactly why the LFO is useless... Anything it can do, you can do even better with the Vibrato and Detune effects, while freeing up a channel at the same time! So just don't use the LFO, it's a waste of a channel...

Offline elmer

• Delek FTW
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
The $0Axy, $05xy, $06xy Volume Side effects are now working.  :D

Which was a total PITA since DefleMask is NOT processing those in the way that I'd expect, but ... ho, hum.

The $07xy Tremolo effect is also working, but needs another hour or so of testing to confirm that the "range" is correct.

Well ... whoops, I was wrong about that, and I'd gotten the Tremolo totally wrong!  :o

After another many, many days of creating tests and staring at .hes output, I think that I've finally got all of DefleMask's "quirks" replicated when it comes to the Volume Slide and Tremolo effects.

There are some very strange things going on in there, some of which must surprise the heck out of musicians when they're making their tracks.

Anyway, to celebrate, here's the PCE ROM of Spoony Bard's Blood-Stained Lake.

Offline RazerBlue6

• PC Engine Masterrace
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 08:54:09 AM »
The LFO isn't really that useful indeed because of software can just replicate it without losing a channel.

I attached a .dmf that shows what it does and it's not that special lol

Offline elmer

• Delek FTW
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
The LFO isn't really that useful indeed because of software can just replicate it without losing a channel.

I attached a .dmf that shows what it does and it's not that special lol

Thanks!

Yeah, I don't think that there's any point in implementing that effect in Huzak.

You can use the Vibrato effect for a normal frequency-warble, and you can use manual Detune effects for a really-low-speed variation over time if that's what you want to do, both without sacrificing a channel.