Chat

Author Topic: Starting a deflemask to GBDK (Gameboy Development Kit) convertor.  (Read 369 times)

Offline refreshgames

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Homebrew Game Developer
    • Refresh Games Blog
Hi there Deflemask forum.

I've made a few ROMs in GBDK over the years but sound has always puzzled me. In terms of getting a fairly decent conversion in C from a source material.

So I've begun work on a tool to convert Deflemask tracks into code that could be ran during gameplay (as opposed to standalone) nut it's provingtobe fairly tough configuring the noise channel correctly with instruments.

Has anyone here who has made a ROM convertor any advice for me regarding this?

I doubt I'm going to get 100% hardware accurate representation of the music by the end of this project but would really appreciate some advice.

I think I've figured out sound channels 1, 2 and begun work on wave and noise channels but the noise channel in particular is proving to be a tough nut to crack.

I'm hoping to release this project as an online tool (and maybe a standalone executable) to aid fellow GBDK game developers.

Offline refreshgames

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Homebrew Game Developer
    • Refresh Games Blog
Starting a deflemask to GBDK (Gameboy Development Kit) convertor.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »
Seems like some of my note to frequency data is a tad off. But sound channel 3 is working pretty well now. I've been testing with Super Star Solider - Area 01 and it's almost recognisable! It doesn't sound particularly pretty though with my version.

Still, using only a maximum of 5% CPU as I'm working on a frame by frame basis sooo tempo is going to be a bit out compared to the official standalone player sadly.

Offline refreshgames

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Homebrew Game Developer
    • Refresh Games Blog
Starting a deflemask to GBDK (Gameboy Development Kit) convertor.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
Getting there pretty well now. Still lots to do but it sounds a bit closer. It seems to sound nicer on my Sp than on emulator but still uses very little CPU.

https://refreshgames.co.uk/deflemaskgbdk.gb

Offline Delek

  • Salí para ver
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • Posts: 1801
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Starting a deflemask to GBDK (Gameboy Development Kit) convertor.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »
This is awesome and sounds pretty well!

Offline refreshgames

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Homebrew Game Developer
    • Refresh Games Blog
Starting a deflemask to GBDK (Gameboy Development Kit) convertor.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »
Thanks Delek :) I definitely need to get effects and multiple instruments added in there, then maybe look into data compression to make the overall filesize of the music less.

Currently it weighs in at ~10kb which is only going to go up whilst I add features. But I'm hoping a lookup table for the notes will help trim things down again.

Particularly if I trim the notes list down to only ones being used.

Thank you so much for making the program in the first place, as well as providing decent documentation on the file format! It's the first one I've come across that I can actually read through!

[edit] Got the wave channel behaving nicer tonight :) refreshgames.co.uk/deflemaskgbdkwave.gb [/edit]

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:03:31 PM by refreshgames »

Offline refreshgames

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Homebrew Game Developer
    • Refresh Games Blog
Starting a deflemask to GBDK (Gameboy Development Kit) convertor.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »
Quick update.

Stepped it down to 6.5kb last night but lost a little bit of fidelity in the wave channel. Not too noticable but it's there.

Using some null note compression to reduce the filesize further although it may increase cpu usage maginally. I think it'll be a fair trade off once it's working.

I'll probably claim some of the space saved back when I re-implement instruments.

Offline refreshgames

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Homebrew Game Developer
    • Refresh Games Blog
Starting a deflemask to GBDK (Gameboy Development Kit) convertor.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:06:59 PM »
Down to ~4k, just need to make a lot of changes to the player code....