Chat

Author Topic: [PCE] Gaiares - Mission 5 (TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine Cover)  (Read 189 times)

Offline Fragmare

• Delek FTW
[PCE] Gaiares - Mission 5 (TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine Cover)
« on: August 26, 2017, 03:23:53 AM »
What's in the orange box?  :D

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 05:38:35 AM by Fragmare »

Offline Michirin9801

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 04:41:57 PM »
I hope you don't mind it, but I've replaced the drums you had with the ones from Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (well, just the kick and snare)
Sorry mate, but I just thought the original drums were kind of rubbish >w>';

it's worth at least a listen I'd say...

Offline Fragmare

• Delek FTW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »
I hope you don't mind it, but I've replaced the drums you had with the ones from Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (well, just the kick and snare)
Sorry mate, but I just thought the original drums were kind of rubbish >w>';

it's worth at least a listen I'd say...

Umm, it's... very Jackie Chan-ey?  It's nice and all, but it most definitely doesn't sound much like Gaiares any more.  I think that particular FM drum loop is permanently seared into the memory of any person alive who has played Gaiares for any significant period of time.  It's integral and "beat-you-over-the-head" prominent in something like 3 or 4 different tracks in the game.  Anything but the original drum loop just wouldn't quite sound like Gaiares, imo.  Making an attempt at mimicing the drums with PSG percussion via the HuC6280 might be interesting, but it definitely wouldn't have quite the same punch as the original.

Offline Michirin9801

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
Umm, it's... very Jackie Chan-ey?  It's nice and all, but it most definitely doesn't sound much like Gaiares any more.  I think that particular FM drum loop is permanently seared into the memory of any person alive who has played Gaiares for any significant period of time.  It's integral and "beat-you-over-the-head" prominent in something like 3 or 4 different tracks in the game.  Anything but the original drum loop just wouldn't quite sound like Gaiares, imo.  Making an attempt at mimicing the drums with PSG percussion via the HuC6280 might be interesting, but it definitely wouldn't have quite the same punch as the original.

If you say so... Nah, I respect your opinion, but I don't really have any nostalgia towards Gaiares so... Yeah...

Offline Fragmare

• Delek FTW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:56:58 AM »
Same song, but with PSG drums.  THE 'HARDWARE PLAY' VERSION SNARE WILL NOT SOUND RIGHT IN DEFLEMASK!!!  It's intended for real hardware and/or Mednafen.  Deflemask seems to play white noise on the PCE about ~15% quieter than real hardware, and also gives it some kind of weird DC offset which introduces some hiss.  If you want the DMF to sound right, you'll need to increase the volume of all occurrences of white noise [11|01] by ~9%... or just download the [Deflemask Play] version attached below.  HES file was generated using the 'Hardware Play' version.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:52:09 PM by Fragmare »