Chat

Author Topic: [Mega Drive] Bram Stoker's Dracula (replica)  (Read 1691 times)

Offline mihaelkyeah

• Learn the best from all worlds
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
[Mega Drive] Bram Stoker's Dracula (replica)
« on: February 11, 2016, 02:25:25 am »
Here is a whole replica of the Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack by Matt Furniss that I started making in October of last year and just finished today.

My main motivation for making this was that, 2ch-N's VGM rip was made with the game running at 60 Hz instead of 50, resulting in a rhythmically clumsy 60-to-50 Hz adaptation.
Since I have no hacking knowledge whatsoever to access the otherwise non existent sound test screen to do my own rhythmically accurate VGM dump, I decided to make all the tracks from scratch - I also figured it would serve as experience. And it did!

Heh, I also intend to show off how picky I am with paying attention to detail and staying as true as possible to the source... As well as showing how DefleMask can easily imitate the Krisalis sound driver by Shaun Hollingworth, which was used in a fair amount of my personal favourite MD soundtracks. :D

Special thanks to TheDeadFish for sending me a download link to a standalone version of the new ROM builder so I could build a ROM with all 26 VGMs!
Being restricted to not using vgm_trim at all also led me to learn how to make proper position jumps in DefleMask. I had to modify pretty much all the DMFs to change the position jumps accordingly. :P

I hope you find this enjoyable or useful or both!

== AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD: ==
  • DMF zip archive
  • VGM zip archive
  • GEN ROM
  • Changelog TXT file
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:17:23 pm by kyusawamura »

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:03:33 am »
This is huge and very well done. Congrats!!!!

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:27:03 am »
Thank you very much. ^^ I'm looking forward to be able to make soundtracks that sound as diverse and rich as Furniss' tunes usually do with zero use of the Sega PSG - sometimes not even all the YM2612 channels!

Offline mihaelkyeah

• YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:56:11 pm »
Minor update (2016-02-12): I modified the looped silences at the end of the DMFs (this time I left them saved as part of the modules as well and not only in the VGM exports) so that the silences at the end of non-looped tracks (ahem, silent loops) are all of equal length.

Minor update (2016-02-17): although I had intended to change the loooping in Stage 4-3, the position jump hadn't been altered, so in the exported VGM it didn't make a difference. Looping corrected, now slightly longer but without the initial muting instruments in the loop, so as to avoid sound problems in homebrew releases and stuff.

Gee, talk about getting obsessive with it. I believe I have a mild form of OCD at this point... Can't let it get worse! D:

Minor update (2016-02-18): forgot to place a "fake sustain" trigger in the loop point of the Final Boss Theme. Fixed and rechecked all the others just to be sure - they're all good.
THIS will be the last update made to this work.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:18:56 pm by kyusawamura »