Chat

Author Topic: [YM2151 + Sega PCM] Omake 8 Cover  (Read 2108 times)

Offline MegaPigeon92

• An avid fan of FM Chips!
[YM2151 + Sega PCM] Omake 8 Cover
« on: October 22, 2015, 09:15:58 am »
Greetings all,

I'd uploaded a couple of covers over at VGM Rips using that old VGM Tracker, but with Deflemask supporting the YM2151, it'd be rude not to migrate over  ;)
Anyway, here is my first offering using this vastly superior tracker, this is "Omake 8" from the Thunder Force IV soundtrack on the Sega Megadrive,
how I imagine it'd sound on an arcade system.
It makes use of some rather 80's sounding drums!

Hope you like it.

Offline Delek

• Sali para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 11:34:31 am »
WOW! Very clear instruments and drums you've got here! I love the echo in the main melody, they have a sightly detune between them, right? Also, that chromatic bass solo is really funky! :o

Offline MegaPigeon92

• An avid fan of FM Chips!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 12:32:56 pm »
Thank you very much!  :)

The drums actually come from this "80's drums" set I bought yonks ago, and the snare drum was picked because it sounded specifically like the Thunder Force IV drums.
Regarding the bass, I had actually made a cover of this track in VGM Maker as part of a small project to get a better understanding of trackers and the YM2612 etc,
and Toshiharu Yamanishi was certainly a whiz at getting the most out of such a simple chip! Trying to recreate that bass line was a right pain in the backside,
but worth it in the end. When I decided to do a YM2151 + Sega PCM version of this track, I had fortunately already done most of the hard work lol, I'm glad you like the results. :)

The main melody itself didn't intentionally feature any detune, but you've just given me some ideas for future tunes.

Quick question, Delek, in VGM Maker, there was a couple of tools to increase the volume on instruments (by increasing "TL" in a uniform fashion if I'm not mistaken) does Deflemask have anything like this?