Chat

Author Topic: Video game music cover thread  (Read 137314 times)

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
Video game music cover thread
« Reply #840 on: November 03, 2017, 12:58:12 AM »
One more cover from Valkyrie the Power Beauties on the PC engine!
Sooner or later I'll have covered the entire soundtrack ;3

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #841 on: November 05, 2017, 01:51:24 AM »
One more cover from Carat!
Hope you like it ^^

Offline EmotionalGuy

• Consider the house....*ROCKED!*
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #842 on: November 05, 2017, 05:52:27 PM »
Since nobody made any music cover for Traveller's Tales underrated gem on the Sega Genesis, "Puggsy", I decided to take my matters into my own hands to create two Genesis/MD covers from one of my favorite, if not the catchiest boss tune in the game: Flour Power.

Offline Speedy

• Tan tan ta ta ta tan
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #843 on: November 05, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »
Since nobody made any music cover for Traveller's Tales underrated gem on the Sega Genesis, "Puggsy", I decided to take my matters into my own hands to create two Genesis/MD covers from one of my favorite, if not the catchiest boss tune in the game: Flour Power.
The cover sounds okay, though I don't think it really does anything new with the track aside from softening a number of the instruments. I usually avoid making covers of good music from a game on the same system for that exact reason: it's hard to top the originals.

Offline EmotionalGuy

• My YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #844 on: November 05, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »
The cover sounds okay, though I don't think it really does anything new with the track aside from softening a number of the instruments. I usually avoid making covers of good music from a game on the same system for that exact reason: it's hard to top the originals.
If only I can create an arranged version of Flour Power?

Offline Speedy

• Tan tan ta ta ta tan
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #845 on: November 05, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »

An arrange or remix would be interesting, yeah. As it is now I think your version just sounds like the original with different instruments, so it doesn't really stand out. It's not bad, just not very unique. Doing things like changing or adding melodies, trying out different time signatures & tempos, etc... that would make it stand out.

Offline EmotionalGuy

• My YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #846 on: November 06, 2017, 01:47:00 AM »

An arrange or remix would be interesting, yeah. As it is now I think your version just sounds like the original with different instruments, so it doesn't really stand out. It's not bad, just not very unique. Doing things like changing or adding melodies, trying out different time signatures & tempos, etc... that would make it stand out.
Hmmm....you made a good point about that.

Offline Alianger

• Super Sugoyim
    • Mini-Revver
    • Email
« Reply #847 on: November 07, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »
One of my fav NES tracks, megadriven:
YT channel (MD music, romhacks, misc gaming): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #848 on: November 08, 2017, 12:09:18 AM »
Very nice alianger ^^
But there are a few off notes and timing issues that throw me off a little, I'm not sure if these were deliberate interpretative choices or not, but still, I'm glad to hear a Hudson classic getting some well-deserved love ;3

Offline Alianger

• Super Sugoyim
    • Mini-Revver
    • Email
« Reply #849 on: November 08, 2017, 04:57:12 AM »
^Can you tell me more specifically? I had to do a tempo change at the part with the fast arp before it loops, maybe I messed up a little there as it switches back mid-pattern.

I added some power chord guitar as well, but maybe different chords sound better.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:58:50 AM by Alianger »
YT channel (MD music, romhacks, misc gaming): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #850 on: November 10, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
How can I say it? It's not just at the end, it's throughout the entire song, there are mistimed notes and inaccurate notes in several parts of the song, if I described each one of them I'd be here all night, but since they're never off-key and rarely off-beat I thought that might have been an interpretative choice, you know, to make it more your own? Was that not your intention? Because well, I don't mind the added power chords, but this is not particularly accurate to the original composition...

Offline Alianger

• Super Sugoyim
    • Mini-Revver
    • Email
« Reply #851 on: November 11, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »
I see, well that's not very constructive.

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
« Reply #852 on: November 13, 2017, 09:58:20 PM »
So, I can't post stuff on YouTube on account of my processor being too worn out, but thankfully, I just remembered I can post stuff here! So, have some covers I did recently!
(PC Engine) Try Out - Madou Monogatari
(PC Engine) Pipe Area - Revolter
(Genesis) City - The Ninja Warriors
(Genesis) Of Devious Machinations - Shovel Knight
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:35:57 AM by SpoonyBard »
Music truly is without age.

Offline Alianger

• Super Sugoyim
    • Mini-Revver
    • Email
« Reply #853 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
Very nice bass and "muffled" guitar in the ninja warriors track there. :)

I can record one of the tracks for you if you want, just PM me.

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
« Reply #854 on: November 14, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
Actually, I just put out another album of chiptune remixes that I've been doing for the past few weeks. It's late where I am, so I won't be making the official announcement until tomorrow, but if anyone's interested, here it is: https://thespoonybard2.bandcamp.com/album/spoony-remixes-vol-2
Music truly is without age.