Chat

Author Topic: Video game music cover thread  (Read 99518 times)

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
Video game music cover thread
« Reply #855 on: November 14, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
Actually, I just put out another album of chiptune remixes that I've been doing for the past few weeks. It's late where I am, so I won't be making the official announcement until tomorrow, but if anyone's interested, here it is: https://thespoonybard2.bandcamp.com/album/spoony-remixes-vol-2
Music truly is without age.

JetStar1997

« Reply #856 on: November 15, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »

Wacky Workbench Zone Past from Sonic CD covered on the Yamaha YM2151 and Sega PCM. I originally wanted to cover the song on Genesis, but I knew right way that I wasn't going to have enough channel for the chords and some additional background instruments, so I opted for the YM2151+Sega PCM instead. I used drum samples from SampleSource instead of those from the original game. The Harmonica instrument was originally made by LeCheeseMaster16; I tweaked it a bit to get it sounding decent. Enjoy the song!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:56:28 PM by JetStar1997 »

Offline EmotionalGuy

• Consider the house....*ROCKED!*
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #857 on: November 16, 2017, 10:46:17 PM »
Hey, um, what happened to JetStar1997?

Offline Alianger

• Super Sugoyim
    • Mini-Revver
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: November 17, 2017, 07:25:35 PM »
Jetstar is no more. Wavetable guy now roams the web.
YT channel (MD music, romhacks, misc gaming): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos

Offline EmotionalGuy

• Consider the house....*ROCKED!*
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #859 on: November 17, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Oh.

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #860 on: November 20, 2017, 04:39:02 AM »
I've covered Mega Man X's Boomer Kuwanger theme on the PC engine! I hope you like it ^^

Offline Wavetable Guy

• Wavetables are cool!
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #861 on: November 26, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
I was inspired by Michirin's various covers of this particular song by covering it on the Genesis. It is based on and nearly identical to the PC-9801 version as I used the same FM bass and lead, exported using hoot voice ripper. The FM drums, however, were made by me. I intentionally left out FM channels 5 & 6 as well as SN channels 3 & 4; either one of these could be used for in-game sound effects. Enjoy! (Edit: Minor fix provided further down in the thread)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:49:33 PM by Wavetable Guy »

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #862 on: November 26, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »
Interestingly enough, I've also made a Genesis cover of this song, but I haven't posted it anywhere because it sounded pretty much identical to the original, therefore I thought it was pointless...
Yours is still a nice cover though, slightly different from mine, but there's one wrong note at channels 3 and 4, pattern C (and D on channel 4), line 24 (and 28 on channel 4) wherein instead of G-5 you've used G-4, and that's really off-putting to me >~>';
Sorry...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:46:25 PM by Michirin9801 »

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #863 on: November 26, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »
https://orig00.deviantart.net/cec7/f/2017/330/3/4/rec015_by_michirin9801-dbuxzzn.mp3
^Here's what I hear on the file you've posted, and yeah, I've downloaded it again to check if the problem persists, and it does...

Offline Wavetable Guy

• Wavetables are cool!
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #864 on: November 26, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
https://orig00.deviantart.net/cec7/f/2017/330/3/4/rec015_by_michirin9801-dbuxzzn.mp3
^Here's what I hear on the file you've posted, and yeah, I've downloaded it again to check if the problem persists, and it does...

So, did you mean patterns 10-13 in the matrix?

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #865 on: November 26, 2017, 06:58:17 PM »
Okay, it's good now ^^

Offline Arjak

• Delek FTW
    • Email
« Reply #866 on: November 26, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »
Hey, guys. I'm new here. I've always loved chiptunes and have been fascinated by covers of songs for systems they weren't originally released for.

After a little tinkering around, I think I finally have something worth showing to the public. This is a Sega Genesis cover of "Termination" from Ys 2.

This is my first attempt at anything of this sort. I have no musical background. I did this mostly by ear, with a little help from my more musically inclined sister. I only used the instruments that came with DefleMask. In short, I am a total noob.

If it has wrong notes/parts of the melody aren't right/sucks, I apologize in advance, and hope you can help me improve via constructive criticism. I'm just doing this for fun in my spare time. Hope you enjoy.

Offline Speedy

• Tan tan ta ta ta tan
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #867 on: November 26, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
Hey, guys. I'm new here. I've always loved chiptunes and have been fascinated by covers of songs for systems they weren't originally released for.

After a little tinkering around, I think I finally have something worth showing to the public. This is a Sega Genesis cover of "Termination" from Ys 2.

This is my first attempt at anything of this sort. I have no musical background. I did this mostly by ear, with a little help from my more musically inclined sister. I only used the instruments that came with DefleMask. In short, I am a total noob.

If it has wrong notes/parts of the melody aren't right/sucks, I apologize in advance, and hope you can help me improve via constructive criticism. I'm just doing this for fun in my spare time. Hope you enjoy.

For one thing, props for covering music from Ys. I started working on music that way; the tracks from the original PC-88 games are relatively easy to transcribe and they're darned catchy. Now then, as for the cover it self, the rhythm is mostly correct, though there's a few spots that seem to be off. The melody and notes however, are (and please don't take this rudely) almost entirely wrong. Since you're just starting out, I cannot recommend enough that you start making covers separating every channel in a piece of chip music (I'll make a tutorial on this soon), and listening to each individually. Solo out notes, see where notes fall into place against the rhythm of the song (generally, the drums are the best place to compare against because drums often outline a basic rhythmic structure), whatever you need. It helps out a lot.

Second, get some basic music education. Ben Levin has a great introductory series to learning music theory, and I'm willing to help as well. Learning even just a little bit of theory helps out a lot with making music, and it allows you to easily understand musical concepts, learn by examining other pieces of music, and use it on your own music.

Offline Michirin9801

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #868 on: November 27, 2017, 02:38:00 AM »
I've covered the intro to Silpheed on the PCE, I hope you like it!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 11:24:17 PM by Michirin9801 »

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
« Reply #869 on: November 27, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »
That sounds freakin' awesome! The only nitpick I have is that you forgot to put the harmony line's echo in the last pattern.
Music truly is without age.