Chat

Author Topic: Offical FM Instrument Thread  (Read 16023 times)

Offline Demick12

• Sealed for freshness past the expiration date...
    • Email
Offical FM Instrument Thread
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:06:34 PM »
This topic was spawned out of my own personal quest to create some decent FM instruments for this tracker for anyone willing to use in their future creation of music. I am hoping we can gather a library of many user instruments together here as a compendium of the capabilities of these hard-to-program FM chip sets (OPNA, OPNB, OPN2, OPN3, OPM, OPP, OPLs 1-4, etc. excluding chips that are in use on keyboards such as the DX7 or the DX11).

In all honesty, FM is a bitch to make instruments for right off the bat (and I actually have a DX7 Mark II keyboard in front of me now with my own patches programmed into it, let alone a TX7 to match it, each having 32 algorithms and 6 Operators to choose from - and this isn't the most advanced FM architecture they have made, either), but if people better understand how algorithms play into this whole business of FM sound and have example of those different algorithms in action, then they can say "Oh nooowww I get why they did that!".

So, here is my little pack of instruments for use in tracks - alter them to taste if needed, but they should be just fine as is. I made sure that I used all 8 algorithms somewhere in my instruments so the user can see how they behave.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:55:12 AM by SpoonyBard »
I am not insain, I have just been evilly reprogrammed. -Cyber-Lip

Offline Delek

• Salí para ver
  • Administrator
    • Delek's Website
    • Email
Post Your Instrument Packs for 4OP YAMAHA FM Type Chips Here.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »
All of them are for Genesis, right? Could I include this as the default ins package for Defle10?

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:04:14 AM »
I don't see any problems. And yes, they are for the Genesis.

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
I could definitely contribute to this thread, since I have a large library of OPM patches I personally ripped from several arcade games. I manually converted a couple of them in DefleMask, but I also have a tool to convert them in TFI format.

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:21:21 PM »
I say do it. It's good to have even stuff from arcade games here.

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
Alright here's the .OPM pack: http://www.mediafire.com/download/od9s1zgbk4ig125/VOPM_Mega_Arcade_Collection.zip

And here's the tool you need: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mi1754xc65r17md/vopmxtfi.zip

To convert a file, simply drag it onto vopmxtfi.exe.

Offline AndyPie

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:30:46 AM »
In all honesty, FM is a bitch to make instruments for right off the bat (and I actually have a DX7 Mark II keyboard in front of me now with my own patches programmed into it, let alone a TX7 to match it, each having 32 algorithms and 6 Operators to choose from - and this isn't the most advanced FM architecture they have made, either)
Pretty much. One cover that I've been working on and off on has been mostly done for about 3 months now, but still needs more tuning work done on it. (Curse you Dave Wise and your crazy instruments! >:()

Anyway, here is some of my FM Creations (and one edited from MVSTracker. Credit goes to whoever made the aco piano instrument.) Hope ya'll can make use of them.

Offline InversePhase

• Delek FTW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, I'm just getting my feet wet with FM settings and patches, and really appreciate this.

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
LukeMcQueen, you're AMAZING! ;D
I've been trying to rip instruments from a few Japanese PC games such as Xanadu, Granada and the Scheme. I have what I need to rip the instruments, but the Voice Ripper's instructions are too "Engrish" to convey what I need to do. Do you think you could help me with that? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:58:48 AM by SpoonyBard »
Music truly is without age.

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 07:14:31 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, I'm just getting my feet wet with FM settings and patches, and really appreciate this.
You're welcome :)

LukeMcQueen, you're AMAZING! ;D
I've been trying to rip instruments from a few Japanese PC games such as Xanadu, Granada and the Scheme. I have what I need to rip the instruments, but the Voice Ripper's instructions are too "Engrish" to convey what I need to do. Do you think you could help me with that? Thanks in advance!

Sure! It's quite simple actually: Just open both Hoot and Hoot Voice Ripper, play a track, then press CTRL+C. The HVR window should pop up with the instruments you just dumped. To save them to an .OPM file, click on the first tab in the upper left corner and select the first option (VOPM somethingsomething).

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 07:58:06 PM »
Thanks a bunch! To show my appreciation, here's the OPM files for Xanadu 1 and 2! I managed to pull these things together in about 15 minutes!

PS: Before this, I had to rip the instruments from the debug mode on an emulator, and because the Xanadu games had no sound test, I would have to play through the entirety of both games to get all the sounds I needed! You saved me a hell of a lot of time, and I can't thank you enough!

Offline SpoonyBard

• Global Moderator
  • Music's in my name!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »
 :o
Whoops, I confused a couple of OPM files. Here's the fixed version.

EDIT: Added all the ripped instruments from both Xanadu games for DefleMask (Different TL carrier levels don't count as different instruments)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:52:11 AM by SpoonyBard »

Offline LukeMcQueen

• Sine Wave Warrior
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »
Glad to be helpful :)

Offline InversePhase

• Delek FTW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
any chance anyone can run the instruments through the conversion process and post those, so us without windows can open them?

Offline Demick12

• Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
You're welcome :)
Hey! Don't forget about me, now! ;)

Anyway, it's good to see that my intentions for this thread have seen such fruition! By the way, could those with an able 32-bit system make said patch conversions for us 64-bit-ers (I am currently running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 - poo. :( )?